Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Survey

So here's a little rant.

Why do people take offense at Christmas being called Xmas?? I've seen three posts on Facebook today, all copied and pasted from some random source, I'm sure, but they argue that by writing Xmas, you're crossing the Christ out of Christmas. Now, I'm not a diehard Christian by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm intelligent and informed enough to know that the "X" in question stands for the Greek letter "chi" in the chi-rho symbol of... imagine this!... CHRIST. According to this site, Xmas has been in use since the invention of the printing press in the 1400s. The 1400s, people. Even Wikipedia agrees that it's been around for centuries. You are not smarter than history. Stop being sheeple and edumacate yourselves before you post!

This has been your public service announcement of the day. Thank you.

Rant off.

*smile*

And now for something completely different!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate. I am actually sipping some as I type this and watch Storm Chasers. I can never decide whether Reed is really a giant arse or if he's just incredibly passionate. I like Joel. I like Tim. Sean amuses me. I'm sorry, what was the original question again?

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Wraps them. I had no idea until about two years ago that some people didn't wrap gifts from Santa. I couldn't imagine not wrapping them. Although it might deter the cats from eating the wrapping and ribbons before the kids get up.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Ahhhh a mix is best, Grasshopper. I have a prelit tree that uses white, but then I put on two strands of multicolored LED lights (red, green and blue) that I set to differing patterns so the white lights shine constantly and the colors twinkle. Then outside we have traditional strands of white lights on the wishing well that look gold compared to the white LEDs on the house, red LEDs on the tree in the front yard, and this year Oz made a tree out of green LEDs topped with a star of white. It looks just gohhhhr-jus, dahling.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? When there are bits of it on the tree in the neighbor's yard that hangs over our fence, we'll sometimes bring in a bit if we have company coming over. Something about six cats and mistletoe...

5. When do you put your decorations up? Either 12/1 or the weekend closest to that date. Since it was a Wednesday this year, 12/1 it was. Is. Whatever.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Pie. But that only applies if every day is a holiday.

7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child?
Oh, gosh... opening gifts, of course. I do have one memory of going to my grandfather's house (my dad's dad) and sittiing on my dad's lap and "helping" him play poker with his brothers. We lived three doors down, so my sister and I got to stay up REALLY late. There was a big white Christmas tree in the huge living area downstairs, and my grandfather had small gifts for each grandchild (seeing as he had 12 kids and there were already a lot of grandkids when I was born, that was a big effort) separated by sex and age. My sister and I got doll cradles. I think he had made them. I also twisted my ankle running down the hill to the back door while playing tag with my cousins and got to sit with my foot in a bucket of ice for a while. Good times, good times...

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember! I do remember that once I learned, I became an incredible snoop. The day I discovered where my mom hid credit card receipts was the best day of my life. I never felt like I ruined Christmas for myself, because I was always just as excited to open the gifts as I was to find out what they were.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Not unless I'm visiting someone and we're doing a gift exchange.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lots and lots of random ornaments. My tree is stuffed, and I'd say 80% of the ornaments have memories attached to them. The kids love pointing to and talking about each one. I also have the lights, as mentioned above, and a string of red beads that runs around the tree. Oz picked out a gold star for the top years ago, and he loves it so much I will never get rid of it. This year it was M1's turn to put it on top. He did it by standing on a chair rather than being lifted. Oh, the milestones...

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it so long as we keep power, because I don't have a fireplace! Have I mentioned I hoard food?

12. Can you ice skate? I can... doesn't mean I'm good or I should...

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Yes. I use it nightly. It's my heated mattress pad. Mmmmmmm prewarmed bed... I hear it calling me.

14. What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you? Finding the time to relax and really enjoy it!

15. What is your favorite holiday Dessert? Pie. Nom.

16. What is your favorite Christmas tradition? Making our Christmas chain is at the top of that list. We use red and green construction paper, of course, and make links, but on each link I write something special to do. Tonight it was light the outside lights for the first time. Tomorrow the kids will write and read their letters to Santa. Watch for videos.

17. What tops your tree? Gold star. I have a gorgeous angel, but she's too big for our tree, so she sits in my curio cabinet and looks gorgeous.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving, of course.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? "What Child Is This?"

20. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? YUM! Especially when melted in hot cocoa.

21 Favorite Christmas Show?
I think it's a tie between the Grinch and Rudolph. I'm nothing if not a nostalgic sap.

22. Saddest Christmas Song? Honestly don't know. I tend to ignore them. That shoe song is right up there, though.

23. What’s your Wish for Christmas? Another white Christmas would be nice, though I'd like the roads to be clear enough to drive on the next day, please ;)

Better wish... I'd like the military to have a peaceful holiday. All of them. World peace for one day isn't too much to ask, is it?

3 comments:

Brilliant Creations said...

I don't like the shoe song. I don't like any sad Christmas songs. And I *really* don't like Santa Baby. I mean, I despise it! It will actually make me change the station. I can listen to Wham! all day...but, Taylor Swift...ugh. ;) Loved the list! (and the rant!!)

Mom on the Verge said...

So many questions at once! I'm gonna have to blog on it...

Meanwhile, strictly, there's nothing wrong with X-mas. It just screams "X-mas sale!" to me, but technically, there's nothing wrong with it. I guess. Except that it's sort of, well, vulgar. (Vulgar: characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste.) Y'know?

merielle said...

Your rant was actually informative. I had no idea, even though I've never been offended by it.
Hope you do get a White Christmas...which is my favorite Xmas show :-)