Occasionally people are surprised to discover my age. The comment I hear most often is, "You look younger/that age, but you act so much older!" My current favorite is from a 22-year-old coworker who likes to tell me how 'wise' I am.
My closest friends are mostly older than I am, in two cases by more than 12 years. I'm sure part of that is due to the fact that I married and had my children young, but I also like to think I have learned a lot out of life already. I have also been told for many, many years that I have an "old soul."
Sometimes, though, the things I have picked up have come through hard experience… or are just plain fun.
Without further ado, I present to you a list of 10 random Friday thoughts about truths I have learned over the years. Feel free to add your own!!
1. Happiness cannot come from without. You must find your own peace.
2 (aka 1a). If you radiate happiness, it shows up as beauty. The happiest people have the 'it' factor that makes the difference between someone plain and someone beautiful or handsome.
3. That being said, expensive clothes and haircuts, if you can afford them, are worth every penny. Clothes really can make the (wo)man. They look better, fit better, and wear better. Goodwill and consignment shops are my friends.
4. The Joneses suck. You aren't walking their path. Walk your own and find others who can accept you as you are.
5. People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Sometimes it's hard to know who is who until you're completely suicidal and sitting on your back porch with a blade and a beer. The people you call in those moments? They're the lifetimers. I'm fortunate - I have several people on that list.
6. People (remember the Joneses?) will judge you. Judging them back accomplishes nothing. Laugh (to yourself) at their insecurities and move on.
7. Accept compliments politely. Give them regularly.
8. You are never done learning. Even if you don't learn something from an academic standpoint, life will teach you things.
9. Be passionate about at least one thing. It's worth knowing one thing well.
10. Everyone has stories.
Have a great weekend, everyone!