Thursday, June 7, 2012

Why Pretend?

I've never been good at pretending.  I have an incredibly active imagination, but I've never really understood the idea of faking something when you can do the real thing.  M2 is okay with playing pretend, but M1 has always been (overly?) practical like me.  I've tried to cater to that.  The kids have learned to clean, cook, make things, etc. by using the real deal.  This isn't to say we don't have play food or pretend vacuum cleaners in the house - in fact, fake food was one of M1's favorite toys for years - but whenever they want to understand these concepts, I'm happy to introduce them.

We picked up M1's EpiPen (no more EpiPen Jr. for us... that boy is big enough for the real thing there, too) from the pharmacy, and it came with a 'trainer injector.'  M2 was delighted.  She adores playing doctor, picking up books about various body parts or systems from the nonfiction section of the library and trying to learn as much as possible; I wouldn't be surprised if she enters the medical field when she gets older.  She talked M1 into playing with her...




She knows she's not stabbing him in the correct spot, but she wanted the pictures to be worth her while.  She's also a ham for the camera.

M1 got in the kitchen last week.  He hadn't gotten to do any real cooking in a while, and he begged to be allowed to make chocolate chip cookies.  I wanted to take photos of the entire process but was banished from the kitchen until he wanted me to demonstrate the proper size to make the cookies.  Then I was banished again.





He cleaned up the kitchen, too.  

I love the fact that my kids are capable of understanding these concepts.  I couldn't make cookies like this until I was much, much older, and I certainly didn't know how to use an EpiPen at their age... hadn't even heard of one, to be honest.  This sort of independence is what I've always hoped to foster in them, and I'm thrilled to see it already!

Yay summer!

6 comments:

Wendy L. Callahan said...

Independence is one of those things I definitely appreciate too! That mix of needing mom, but also being willing and able to do things on their own feels good. :)

hornblower said...

Um Sarah? Where IS she stabbing him? That picture made me really really laugh.....

Cookies! Excellent! Making sure kids can create sweet chocolatey treats is one of the pillars of my childrearing philosophy & those look scrumptious!

Sarah said...

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I hadn't even thought that. She *is* stabbing his thigh, just the wrong part. But yeah... I'll never look at that photo the same way again!

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

From the way M2 is holding the EpiPen in pic #2, I thought she was really going let M1 have it! I expected to see him curled up in a ball in the next picture.

Those cookies look mouth-watering.

Beth said...

Yeahhh I was kind of wondering that same stabbing question too, but figured Surely.. No.. She probably wouldn't stab him... there.. That would probably revive him though..

Mom on the Verge said...

You mean, they may leave home and grow to honorable adulthood?! Wow...

I'm still waiting for a sign. If mine have to make the cookies themselves, they'll pass on cookies altogether. Strange people.