Sunday, July 14, 2013

Reading List (Your Mileage May Vary)

One of the things that I do during our school year is request books for the kids.  I only request one every other week so that nothing gets overwhelming, and I take into account the kids' interests as well as the fact that I want them to read 'good' books.  Both kids are pretty good about picking good books, not just brain candy, but that doesn't always mean that the good books sound appealing at first.  There's no way my son would have read Little Women on his own and no way my daughter would have picked up The Phantom Tollbooth, either, but they both really like these books now.  Sometimes they don't finish the books - I don't insist on it.  I ask that they give the book a fair shake and at least try to read it, but finishing isn't a requirement.  There have been a few flops but not many.

This year, M1 will be reading several books that I suspect will take him longer than two weeks to read, so his list isn't as long as M2's.  He's in 'fifth' grade and she's in 'third,' but again, I adapt the list to their ability and keep in mind what they have and haven't read already.  We do discuss the books, especially if I know that there are difficult themes in them, but I don't do anything in-depth.  It's simply discussion.  As they get older, I may bring these books back for further reading and discussion, but familiarity with the story will help them dig deeper when the time comes.

Without any more ado,  The Reading Lists:

M1:
The Giver
True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Eragon
The Iliad
Ender's Game
Fahrenheit 451
Lord of the Flies
The Odyssey
Macbeth 
Romeo and Juliet
On My Honor
Schooled
Murder on the Orient Express
Joyful Noise (poetry book)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Beowulf (this is actually a reread for him, but he likes it)

M2:
Frindle
Black Ships Before Troy
The Fortune-Tellers
All-of-a-Kind Family
Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing
Tuck Everlasting
Little Women
The Secret Garden
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
James and the Giant Peach
Night of the Twisters
The Penderwicks
Caddie Woodlawn
Harriet the Spy
The Westing Game
My Dog May Be a Genius (poetry book)
The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
The Cricket in Times Square

3 comments:

rowan said...

Perfect!!! Thanks for posting! I'm just about to put mine together for my kiddos.

Beth said...

Someday I aspire to be all organized and stuff like you :)

Kim said...

Those are great lists. I'm borrowing some of those suggestions.