Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Thanksgiving and Other Stuff

Time for my somewhat-regular, useless, narcissistic information dump, I think.  I'm sitting on the couch with a mug of lemon-honey tea next to me.  My neck is wrapped in a heated rice bag.  These things are 'necessary' because I have both a sore throat and a sore neck.  Note to husband: I need a new pillow for the bed.  I seem to have killed this one, and I suspect that is the cause of my sore neck.  The sore throat I'm chalking up to a combination of hormones and winter.

Work is good.  I really feel like I'm part of the team now, and I've been handed a couple of small but important extra responsibilities.  I am pleased.  Today was a completely exhausting day, the kind of nonstop day we haven't had for several weeks, and I'm proud to say that while we were all thoroughly worn out by the end of it, we made it through intact.  Somehow it all got done… and done well, I think.  We'll see.

We had our office Thanksgiving lunch today.  I brought pear pie.  I hadn't made it in quite a while, and I'm proud to say it was delicious.  Or so I've been told.  I don't want to brag.  I did enjoy eating a slice of it myself, but my opinion is biased, so I'd prefer to go off of the thoughts of others.  I'll make another one soon for a coworker who specifically requested one and even offered to pay for it.  Yes, I will be the office pie maker.  I am okay with this.

Thanksgiving here at the house next week should be fun.  In addition to my mom and sister and my in-laws, we've invited some friends over as well, ones who don't have any family local or who don't have a place to crash where they can be surrounded by folks they know.  I'm going to fix a fresh ham (need to get that picked up ASAP) and a brisket and let everyone else bring sides or desserts.  I may also let the kids make some cookies or brownies.  We'll see.

We had our first snow here over the weekend.  It wasn't much - a little less than an inch, I'd say - but it was the first real snow we've had in a while and certainly the first *November* snow I can remember in even longer.  It didn't mess up the roads, either, so that was a major bonus.  A family friend of Oz's is visiting from Sydney this week, so he came for lunch. Oz fixed chili, and I made cornbread muffins.  Everyone went back for seconds.  'Tis the season for much eating!

Tomorrow is Boo's violin recital, and next week the kids are out of school.  Oz is going to work from home and I'm hopeful that he'll be able to bring them to the office one day to see Mama in her new environment.  Then they have three weeks of school and then it's Christmas break.  I need to work something out for childcare for those two weeks, I guess, since I don't exactly have time off and won't be able to get it at this point, anyway… between a coworker who took the week of Christmas off as part of her hiring terms and covering for a satellite office the week of New Year's, it won't happen.

I've started ordering Christmas gifts for the kiddos (and Oz) and stashing them away.  Hard to believe that'll be here in a little more than a month.  Nobody's getting anything big or expensive this year.  Nobody has asked; nobody shall receive.  It's just working like that this time around.

And on that bombshell, I need to go do dishes, and then I'm going to go wash my nasty hair, reheat this rice bag, and read in pajama pants until I fall asleep.  Night!


No comments: