Monday, May 25, 2009

Oklahoma Travel

This year, we're not going to take a big family vacation like we have in the past. Last year, we went down to Houston. We had a blast! But the drive... ugh... and then we flew up to Pennsylvania in the fall to visit Oz's dad and stepmom. So I was 'big'-traveled out. I wanted to stay closer to home, save a few bucks on hotel expenses, food expenses, etc. So this year, instead of taking a big trip, we're touring our home state, learning about all the fun stuff it already has to offer!

We've already done stuff like the sheep-shearing weekend, the Amish Cheese House, and I took the kids down to see the azaleas in Muskogee while they were in bloom.

This weekend, we decided to go visit Oklahoma City and visit the Omniplex, though I think now they call it the Science Museum Oklahoma. It'll probably always be the Omniplex to me.

Regardless, the kids LOVED it. I had thought it would be busier than it was, seeing as it was a holiday weekend, but I guess all the crowds were headed to the zoo next door, so the INDOOR museum wasn't busy at all! Oz and I split up for a while since the kids are interested in different things, but we wound up back together at random intervals and I was able to get some good pictures.

M2 loved hearing her voice in the echo tube. I mostly think she just likes hearing her own voice. ;)

Oz couldn't resist trying everything out himself. Fidget.

M2 also loved SEEING herself. She played in the mirrors for ages.

M1 couldn't get enough of the cloud rings in the weather room.

He and Daddy also climbed into the tornado chamber together. That number on the read-out is the wind speed. M1 came out saying tornados weren't so bad. It put me in mind of that skit by Ron White: "It's not *that* the wind is blowin'... it's *WHAT* the wind is blowin'..." but I didn't go there. M1 is typically very afraid of the thought of tornados, so to hear him be okay with it was reassuring!

They also had a special exhibit at the museum that we bought passes for. It was sponsored by Odyssey Explorer, and it featured a bunch of actual treasure, most of it brought up from a Civil War era ship, though some was from a ship much, much older. One of the treasures was an actual bar of Spanish gold! It was amazing to see how well everything had survived. It was all in gorgeous condition. These are actually made of glass.

After we left the Science Museum, we visited my mom, who had fixed lunch for us, and then we took her to see the Myriad Gardens. We didn't pay to go into the conservatory since it was a nice day (and I hadn't done my research beforehand to realize we *would* have to pay - oops!), but the grounds were still lovely.


The kids loved the koi and the ducks that were scattered around the water features.



All in all, it was a great day! The kids were absolutely exhausted by the time we got home, but it was well worth it to see the great treasures that Oklahoma holds for us. I encourage you all to get out and see what your state has to offer!

1 comment:

Habebi said...

Fun fun! The gardens look beautiful! I've never been there... may have to go.