Saturday, May 30, 2009

I have babies!

The garden has babies, I should say... it's flourishing, and I am still in shock. Oz laughs at me, but I've never had anything grow and STAY alive before, let alone actually blossom and turn into something. I planted some squash a couple of years ago and got a few flowers, but never had anything actually grow that you could eat, and it certainly wasn't the size of the plant I have now!

That'll be the squash there in the middle. When I planted it, you could step right over it and have room on either side... not so much now, eh??

This is my first baby cucumber... it's adorable! I never knew they had all those little spikes on them. Grow baby grow!

My pole beans are actually climbing their poles now... it's amazing how fast they grow once they grab on. A week ago, this thing had just wrapped around the bottom.

My strawberry plant is actually producing strawberries. I didn't think I'd get any this year because, well, they're first-year strawberry plants, but those sure look like babies to me. Fingers crossed the bugs stay out of them!

This is one of the half a dozen squash I've got growing - this is actually one of the smaller ones, but I couldn't get a good shot of the bigger ones. The biggest one is about as long as my hand already. Woohoo!

One of the tomatoes. We planted three varieties of tomatoes - four Romas (see below), one bush tomato that hasn't started putting on fruit yet, and this one, called a "Cherokee Purple." I'm curious to see how it'll turn out!


My Romas are producing a bunch already, too. I'm so worried about bugs now, but at the same time, it's awesome to see all these little tomatoes growing. Before, I was worried about pollination, but I guess I didn't need to. These babies are everywhere!

I didn't kill the okra after all, but I'm so glad it's getting warmer outside. The cool, wet weather wasn't making it very happy!


Last but definitely not least, these are the kids' pumpkin plants. They're not in the garden; I put them in the same spot that I successfully grew the pumpkin plant last year, snug between the now-dead peony plants. They're taking off, too!
I can't wait until everything gets big... I REALLY can't wait to make some homemade spaghetti sauce with homegrown tomatoes, herbs, and maybe even a homegrown bell pepper... ohh the love of gardening has bit and bit hard... I can see why people love it!

No comments: