Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pawnee Bill, Blonde Moments, and other fun stuff

Before I begin, I should preface by saying that all photos in this post were taken by my husband's iPhone.

WHY were they taken by my husband's iPhone, you ask?

Good question.

Well, first of all, because he has the new iPhone that contains approximately a 3.0 megapixel camera with actual focus ability. He was the freak interviewed on KRMG because he was at the mall at 4:30 a.m. waiting on the doors to open. He was there at 4:30 a.m. because he found a deal online where he can send in his 'old' iPhone for more than the new one costs... which is why I consented to let him get the new one...but also the photos were taken by his iPhone because I forgot...


Grabbed the camera; promptly forgot to check and see whether the memory card was actually in it.

I should also let you know that there is no Wal-Mart in Pawnee, Oklahoma. There *is* a Radio Shack, but it's inside a pharmacy, and on Saturdays, they close at noon.

Not helpful when you get into town at roughly 2:15 p.m.

Moving on...

We spent the afternoon and evening at the Pawnee Bill Ranch. We had a great time! There's quite a bit to do between the museum and mansion, where no photography was allowed (the blogger in me resented that), the log cabin, the blacksmith shop, the teepee, and the various mini-shows that are put on during the course of the afternoon (hard to catch with an iPhone camera). But more on that later.
The teepee above was fascinating. You could actually go inside it, and they had a reenactor who could tell you about all sorts of Native American life, how they did things, etc. She was well-educated but a bit strict. She obviously had put a lot of effort into making some of the stuff and really didn't like people fingering the items, despite the fact that it seemed that they were obviously lying in the open for a reason.
This was one of the rooms inside the log cabin. It was a two-bedroom cabin, so quite a good size I suppose, and it definitely looked original, though of course I'm no expert. The beds even had old quilts on them that looked pretty raggedy. The log cabin was central to the gunfight shows that were part of the day's program - each program was different, I might add, so you could go back and not see the same thing twice. I thought that was pretty neat.

Next door to the log cabin was the blacksmith's shop, and they had an actual blacksmith outside working to make items for sale. My kids were totally fascinated by all the different tools he kept whipping out - chains, pins, hammers, tongs, etc.
They even had a kids' play area inside the museum, complete with all the good stuff you see here. It was a great way to kill time between the BBQ dinner served onsite starting at 5 p.m. and the actual Wild West show that started at 7:30. Plus, it was indoors... and therefore air-conditioned!
Obviously I have no photos of the mansion or museum, or of the show itself, since zoom and night-vision are a couple of those handy little features phone cameras don't really sport, but it was well worth it. The show was as authentic a reproduction of a wild west show that they can apparently have in modern days (i.e. no real bullets, no making fun of different ethnicities, etc.), and it was a lot of fun. M2, at one point, told me it was "the most good show I've ever seen." She fell in love with one of the characters, Miss Peach, though M1 really liked all the gunfights - typical boy ;) All the characters also had trading cards with their characters vs. the original characters on them, and the kids really liked collecting them. Bonus - they were free souvenirs!
Now... I know you don't see photos of me on here, and there are lots of reasons for that, but just this once...
I'll indulge you. The last show of the day, right before dinner so everyone's showing up and watching, put on by the "miracle worker extraordinaire," and guess who gets hauled up on stage?? I honestly thought, when he was calling me out, that he was talking to a woman standing slightly in front of me... but no... I was the chosen one. And I had to sing. And dance. And play a kazoo while bending over slightly. And hold a stick of "dynamite."
And for the rest of the night, I was recognized.
There's nothing quite like someone saying hello to you as you step out of the Port-a-Potty.
I could never be a celebrity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, looks like fun and those are some good pics from a phone! Kudo's! I wish we had more "history" up North I'd take my homeschooled kids on field trips all year round!
Jessie at Blog Schmog (a fellow PW reader)