Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

I hope everyone out there had a great Thanksgiving! We didn't do a lot. We went up to visit my 85-year-old grandmother on Tuesday. She lives in Kansas, all by herself in her very own cozy little house, and she even still does all the cooking. She's a great lady, very tough. She's survived the deaths of two husbands, her son, and three of her siblings (her two sisters are both still living).

We came back home on Wednesday, and when I got up on Thursday morning (motivated only by the sound of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I've got a story about M2 and that in a moment), I made a couple of pies - apple and cranberry-apricot. I sliced up six apples for the pie because usually five or six is just the right number, and I wound up getting TWO pies out of that. Who'da thunk?? I had made applesauce out of some red apples the other day, and I still have four green apples left. I have apples coming out of my ears!

After the pies got done, we headed over to my mother-in-law's house for dinner there. She cooked a TON. There were just eight of us, but she made a turkey, a ham, tons and tons of stuffing, green bean casserole (which I happen to LOVE), and gravy. We brought mashed potatoes, rolls, and the pies, and she also had a cranberry salad and something called pistachio fluff which was really really good. We all ate till we just about popped.

When it got dark outside, Papa took the kids outside where my brothers-in-law had strung up all the Christmas lights, and M2 got to do the countdown (well, count-UP as the case was) and M1 pushed the button to turn on the lights. Then they ran up and down Papa's ramp - Papa uses a motorized wheelchair to get around - until they were completely worn out.

Now... about M2 and the parade. The very first 'act' in the Macy's show was about 250 cheerleaders, all doing an act to a song. M2 was mesmerized. She sat with her mouth open and was completely silent, which happens about once in a blue moon with her, until she found her voice long enough to say, "I want to be able to do THAT."

This is scary in some ways. I have a potential cheerleader on my hands... who loves shoes, pink, scarves, dancing, arts and crafts, and people. I'm a tomboy mom with a princess daughter... seriously... I need tips!

No comments: