Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book of the Week

Now that school is back in session, I'm really going to try to keep up with things this year and post about actual educational schtuff. That's not to say I won't be posting about other things. I'm sure my wandering mind will take care of that, and I have a recipe waiting in the wings to be shared. But today will be the first of many installments of...

Wait for it...

The Book of the Week.

I know you're shocked.

As a way to broaden M1's fictional horizons and get him to start actually talking about the books he reads, I've started "assigning" books. He'll read them; we'll talk about them; and if he's inspired, he might continue with the rest of the books (if it's a series) or find more books in the same genre. We'll just see how it goes.

For the first week, his book is



Now. How sad is it that I didn't even know this was a book, let alone a series, until about two months ago?

Call me Ignorant. I'm going to swipe it before M1 is done with it and give it a read myself. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Mom on the Verge said...

I read it as a child and again last month. It's one of those "old fashioned" books that try to shock "old fashioned" children by doing unexpected and nonsensical things. It must have been quite the sensation back then. It's clever, but I think its shock value has worn thin in this Shrek era. It's also surprisingly dark -- Mary Poppins is not a huggy-lovey nanny. Still, I did read it all the way through, and it was well-written and fun in a Roald Dahl sort of way!