Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kitchen Wizard Wednesday - 10/17

The Wednesday cooking classes persist!  I had wondered if we would be doing them this week, since the public schools are out for fall break, but by 5 p.m., the kids were in the house.

M2 did her dish first.  I had her make a pasta salad.


While we waited on the water to boil for the pasta, she worked on the other add-ins.  I had purchased some cherry tomatoes to quarter and basil to julienne, and she also elected to slice and add some olives.


She overcame a big fear of boiling water to dump in the pasta all by herself, and after I drained it (a big pot of water + pasta is a little much for a girl to lift safely), she dumped it in the bowl and mixed it all together with some Italian dressing and balsamic vinegar.  Then we put it in the refrigerator to chill.

M1 made Parmesan-crusted fish tonight.  It was his first time to work with fish, and he did a great job!


We dried the fish and mixed up the milk/egg and breading mixture, and then he overcame his fear of gunky hands to cover the fish.


He was very serious about his fish.  He's very serious about most things.


I taught him how to flip fish and tell when they're done, and he did a great job.

Next week they've requested Cubans and some sort of steamed veggie.  M2 will be in charge of the sandwiches and M1 the veggie.  I may have M1 do some sort of dessert as well since steaming a vegetable doesn't teach him anything new.  We'll see.  All I know is that I'm so glad my kids are learning these skills!

1 comment:

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

You must have Mommy Nerves of Steel! I can't bring myself to let my kids within five feet of boiling water.