Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Procrastination; or, The Phone Is My Enemy

I despise making phone calls.  It's funny, because when I was a teenager, my parents couldn't get me off the phone if they tried, and now my husband can't even get me to call the pizza guy.

Oh, the way things change.

I tell him that when I was a journalist, I used up my phone quota talking to everyone under the sun all day long, but I think the truth is that unless I have a purpose, I just don't care to call people.  When I had to conduct interviews, I had my questions more or less prepared so I knew what I was going to say.  There was a purpose.  And I see no purpose in calling one pizza company when others have online ordering forms available.  I very, very rarely call even my best friends because I worry that either I'll call at a bad time or they'll answer and I'll discover I have nothing to say.  Casual acquaintances don't have a chance.

A month ago, I got an e-mail from my eye doctor saying it was time for my annual check-up.  Early last week I got a reminder card from M1's eye doctor saying he was due for a check-up as well.  I also needed to schedule M2's 8-year well-child check and call an orthodontist for a consultation about M1's teeth.

I would like to suggest that someone develop a program like OpenTable for doctors.  But that's just me.

Anyway, I decided that TODAY IS THE DAY.  At 9 a.m., I set Project Scheduling into motion.  First I called the pediatrician's office, because I know all the front office staff by sight, if not by name.  M2 now has a well-child check scheduled.  Then I called my eye doctor and got to talk to an answering machine, which I don't mind at all because I know what to say to them.  They're predictable.  Third I called M1's eye doctor; he now has an appointment scheduled there.  And I'm about to call an orthodontist who, ironically, does have an online appointment system available, but I'm leery of using it since we're new patients.  Even I can concede that sometimes talking to a real live person is more useful than using the Interwebz, now matter how convenient it may be.

There's still part of me that's squirming inside. If it wasn't in the name of medical necessity, I doubt I'd be doing all this. I'd probably just put it off till tomorrow. Again.

I just have to put on my grown-up pants today. 

Someone tell me to get moving.

2 comments:

Wendy L. Callahan said...

GET MOVING!

Heh, I know how you feel. In fact, I try to save up all the phone calls and do as much as I can in one fell swoop. Being on the phone is just a huge inconvenience.

rowan said...

OMG, I am so glad to hear someone else say this!!!! I feel exactly the same way! My husband cannot understand it and frankly, I don't really get it myself. But there it is......LOL