Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Countdown to Summer

We're on the home stretch now.  Five - well, four and a half - more weeks until we take a couple months off for summer.  It's amazing how quickly time can fly.  It doesn't seem like nine months ago since M2 'officially' came home for her education and we started this school year.  I've been checking what we've done with the goals that I set at the beginning of the year, and we've accomplished most of them.  I never expect to get all of them done, primarily since we always wind up covering stuff NOT on the list at the same time.  Still, I'm very proud of what's been covered, and I think the kids have had a good school year. 

It always makes me a little bit misty-eyed to look at their work from the beginning of the year and compare it to the end.  I don't often save their work over the summer, so I don't have many drastic examples to show the progression through the years for M1, but I showed M2 her work from the beginning of the year, and she was blown away at how far she's come.  Her handwriting has improved, she now knows how to write a proper sentence, and she knows more about history and science than she ever imagined.  M1 has really progressed as well - he uses cursive almost exclusively, which makes his work far easier to read, and he's really come a long way with regard to his writing.  He has finally found his own voice and doesn't feel the need to copy words straight out of a book.  It's a big step.

I'm definitely excited to get into fifth grade for him, third grade for her.  I'm excited to study genetics, to get into the nitty-gritty with geography, to see how far they get mathematically, and to cover ancient history with M2 for the first time.  I'm excited to ask the bigger "why" questions, to write plays and create presentations, and just to keep going.

But I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself.  First comes summer.  Camps, swimming, seeing friends, field trips, lazy days, gardening... it all sounds absolutely glorious.  I know it'll fly by far too quickly, but I'm ready... ready for summer.

Only a few more weeks to go!

3 comments:

Wendy L. Callahan said...

Seeing their progress is so exciting. I know it makes me proud too. :)

Beth said...

Ohh! I wish we could do an actual "summer" break!! *jealous* me is! We took this week off of :book work: and the kids went ape crazy..

Kim said...

I'm looking forward to the anticipated easier pace. At least, that's what I think it will be. We are burned out. It's been a draining year.