Sunday, April 6, 2014

You Mean the Weekend is Over Already?!?

Boo and I were sitting side-by-side while I drove to the grocery store today (and for all you car-seat-lovin', kid-in-the-front-seat-hatin' folks out there, she's 4'10" and 85 lbs.) when we passed by a church that had obviously just finished its service, and cars were streaming out of the parking lot.

"I guess it is that time," I remarked to Boo, and she gazed at the church for a moment.  Then she asked, "It's Sunday?"

Yes, my dear, I told her.  It's Sunday.  This is why we didn't have school yesterday and why we slept till 10 a.m. and then went to a picnic to meet my brother-in-law's girlfriend (very nice) and then came home and oozed until I left to visit another friend for the sake of hanging out and chatting.  It's why I made sure the grocery shopping was done and the lesson plans and worksheets are printed and the house is at least partially presentable, with the exception of the formal dining room where the refrigerator leaked under the wall and under the carpet and we've basically taken the room apart to dry things out and are just thankful that there doesn't seem to be any real damage.  So yes… it's Sunday.  Time is flying.

That said, I cannot wait until summer vacation gets here.  We only have six more weeks of school left, and after that, they'll get the longest summer vacation they'll ever have in their lives.  We'll be done May 16. Ordinarily we would go back in early July, thus giving the kids about two solid months of break.  But since Boo (and probably Doodlebug) will be attending public school in the fall, they won't go back until the middle of August.  They will actually have an entire three months of vacation.

I'm going to need all the heavenly help I can get, because the preadolescent masses are going to get bored.

Part of me wants to get these last few weeks over as quickly as possible.  We'll wrap up Math-U-See Zeta and give Doodlebug a brief start on pre-algebra, make sure Boo has her division facts down, do a writing project or two (I'm going to see if the kids are interested in writing a play), finish studying the human body, do a study of ancient Rome, and polish off their grammar books… and that's about it.

The other part of me never wants this school year to end.  Boo is still very excited about the idea of going to school next fall, even if she experiences occasional bouts of nerves about meeting new people and going to a new school with new routines and new teachers, but I think she'll be fine and really, if she's honest, so does she.  I suspect she'll run into some girl drama sooner or later, but it's inevitable. She would run into that even if she hadn't been homeschooled.  Doodlebug is still not particularly keen on the idea, but he's coming around.  The other day he asked if he made some new friends if I'd let him play Minecraft with them, and of course I said yes.  Just not on the computer and possibly not HERE.  Not until he can demonstrate long-term responsibility.  But he's working on it.  I think his problems, if there are any, will be immediately obvious and he'll settle in better the longer he's there.  It could just be wishful thinking on my part, of course.  We'll see.

The point is, time is flying.  Doodlebug is half-asleep on the couch because I suspect he's about to experience another growth spurt; Boo has changed her earrings four times this week (which is more than she's changed them in the last four years combined, I think) and painted her fingernails all by herself the other day.  They weren't perfect, but they weren't bad, either.  They're growing up, whether I like it or not, and I've had more discussions with more moms about bras and periods and crushes and funky boy-smell in the last month than I've ever had.

And so it isn't just that the weekend is over already.  It's that this phase of life is almost over.  It's just all going too quickly.  I want to live in the present, seize each moment, but I'm not very good at that.  Still, I'm going to do my best between now and May, and then between May and August, to seize what I can.

What do you do when you feel like an entire segment of your life is coming to an end?  Do you mourn?  Get nostalgic?  Worry?  Get excited?  What do you do?

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

Yes, that's what I did. I mourned, got nostalgic, worried, and got excited. Then I went and had a cup of tea, followed probably by driving somebody somewhere (or supervising a driving lesson). There are different parenting challenges at this time of their lives (plus usually some added challenges in the parent's own life), but the challenges all require the same nerves of steel that Moms have needed for generations past.

Good luck!