Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mardi Gras came early!

Mardi Gras came early this year - it came up with my cousin from New Orleans who was kind enough to bring up some crawfish for my dad at cost - live, wriggling, still-fresh-straight-from-the-Gulf, never-frozen crawfish. Specifically... about 30 POUNDS of crawfish. Nom nom nom. It's food happiness in a black plastic box.



I think we finagled an invite only because we had the outdoor cooking apparatus - the turkey fryer! It doubles nicely as a crawfish pot, though it's definitely not authentic. Throw in the spice mix, potatoes, corn, orange juice (and oranges), and boil! My dad and husband had 'man time' outside with their beers while the kids, my stepmom, and I watched Snow White in the great warm indoors. We're not tough enough for outside on days when the temperature is less than 60. Still... I had to keep checking on that crawfish. It smelled WONderful. And then M1's meds wore off, so he was outside just to save the furniture from instant destruction.

This was batch #1... we ate through that in probably record time and got about 3/4 of the way through batch #2 before we decided we truly couldn't eat any more crawfish.
So then we ate king cake. Also fresh from The Big Easy. My cousins need to come to town more often.
This was the really nice part about the whole meal... cleanup was condensed into one very full trash sack, and the women didn't have to cook a single thing!

Of course, now I have some of the leftovers and saved some heads to boil into crawfish broth... I figure all that will go well in the jambalaya I'm going to make on Tuesday. I think. Does crawfish go with smoked sausage? I'm still pondering possibilities here. Lemme know what you think...

No comments: