Wednesday, February 11, 2009

OPGTR

OK, first of all... I never knew how many abbreviations there were in homeschooling. Homeschooling is HS (I always thought that was high school!), for example. Then... then there are the curriculum abbreviations, the forum abbreviations... it's enough to make a girl crazy! I still can't figure them all out. I have to have a reference. Luckily, I found one here: http://mysite.verizon.net/violetweb/home_school_abbreviations.htm. I promise not to make you use it as often as I have to.

One of the abbreviations I have learned is OPGTR, sometimes shortened even more to OPG. It stands for "The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading" by Jessie Wise and Sara Buffington.

Obviously, I own a copy. It was actually my first "official" homeschool purchase. I ordered it when Michael was getting stuck with reading and didn't seem to be making any progress. Of course, as soon as I got it, his reading took off. When I really decided I was going to homeschool and started looking at further curriculum choices, spelling and grammar both emphasized that reading should be pretty well along before getting into either of those. So I came back to this book. I went through it and made a list of all the lessons that I thought might help him become an even more prolific reader. The last lesson in the book is simple: The child reads the word supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. The end.

As you can see, it wasn't a short list, but I also knew we'd do more than one lesson per day. I divided it all up and came up with 26 groups of lessons. Originally, I had hoped we'd do one group a week and finish by fall. Then M1 found it. He wanted to know what the list was and why it was so LONG.
I told him.
He wanted to know how he'd ever get it all done, and I suggested we do the first group to try. It took him all of about five minutes, and he got so excited with his success that he gave himself a reading challenge: Finish the entire list before Spring Break!

This was one of his lessons today. If he gets the words without prompting, I don't make him read the stories that go with them. If he has trouble, we do a little extra. We review some parts every day before moving on. He's got about 16 days' worth of work left before him. At this rate, he'll finish by March 1. I've promised him a Mommy Day if he beats Spring Break. I'll let you know how he does!

No comments: