Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Life - Stress =

It's summer vacation, and so M1 and M2 are both home full-time. We've been going crazy with all the activities that we've been doing - swimming, day trips, playdates, errands, etc. We've only had maybe 3 full days where we didn't go somewhere all of summer vacation so far. It's been less than a month, but still. Three is a very small number!

Last week, just because I'm sadistic and like to torture myself occasionally, I decided that M1 could come off of his ADHD meds for a few days. Initially it was because he's just getting scary-thin and I wanted to see if he'd start eating like the boy I *USED* to feed... you know, the one who ate more than me at every meal.

He has, by the way. Yesterday at Red Robin he ate an entire kids' pizza, his oranges, sucked down his freckled lemonade, AND ate a full helping of fries. It's doing my heart good to see his little face start to fill back out.

He also has been... well... NORMAL. It's been completely bizarre, but he's almost acting like a NORMAL 6-1/2-year-old. There has been only one day where he just about lost it and was acting like a complete and total dodo, and that was the day we had friends over here and so I spent the morning cleaning the house. Did you know cleaning the house can apparently stress out a 6-1/2-year-old boy? I do now.

Maybe I should never clean again.

Kidding, of course, but that has been the only horribly rough day we've had since he's been off his medication. We even went to a Blue Bell ice cream factory tour yesterday AND went to lunch at Red Robin afterwards, and when I told one of my friends he was unmedicated, she was totally blown away. He wasn't boucing off the seat at all.

Keep in mind that this is my kid who has been diagnosed with ADHD, PDD-NOS, and anxiety.

I think he just might actually not be ADHD. I think he's just a little Aspie, which means his problems are entirely social. This mix-up is pretty common, where a kid will be diagnosed with ADHD as a youngster and 'grow into' an Asperger's diagnoses as they age.

So I shall continued to keep the meds handy, but as long as I can keep the stress level low...

Here's to a medication-free boy!

1 comment:

Habebi said...

Hey! That's good news. Fingers crossed that things continue to go well for him. :-)