Friday, September 9, 2011

A Good Problem

I discovered why M1 was being difficult earlier this week.  He and M2 and I all came down with some sort of throat virus that attempted to take all of us out of commission.  M2 got to stay home from school yesterday, and M1 missed swim.  Everyone was cranky.  We're all feeling a little better today, though M2 and I still have slightly hoarse voices. 

Yay for being on the mend!

---

The real reason I'm posting today, though, has nothing to do with illness.  It's a bit of a brag, actually, but also extremely frustrating... in a good way.

I'd be willing to guess most of you read that I caught M1 cheating on his math.  That was Tuesday.  He's about 3/4 of the way through his current math book, and he's learning how to do multiplication of multiple numbers with carrying.  Once he gets this concept down (and he does have it down when/if he pays attention), we'll do a few lessons on finding factors, talk about very large numbers and expanded notation thereof, play with prime numbers, and voila! he'll be done with that book. 

Since he was getting so close, I had gone ahead and ordered the next book in the series, and it arrived on Wednesday afternoon while he and I were outside enjoying the good weather.  He wanted to see it, so I showed it to him.  We talked about the scope and sequence of the book, and then I let him do some mental math with some of the earlier problems in the book.

He got pumped.  Then he announced to me that he wanted to finish up the entire book this school year.

Yeah, right.  I've heard this before, and I wasn't falling for it.  I told him that if he really wanted to do that, he was going to have to work on extra math pages to get it all accomplished because otherwise, it wasn't going to happen.  He nodded, and I figured that was the end of it... it usually is. 

But today, after he aced a chapter test, he turned to me and said, "Mom, can we watch the DVD for the next lesson?  And can I do another page today?  I need to get started on those extra pages if I'm going to get done with the next book."

It threw our entire day out of whack, and he's still working on schoolwork at 2 p.m. (and still has a couple other things to complete), but I'll be darned if he didn't buckle down and do it.  I'm really proud of my self-motivated little dude.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Awwww!! I like your boy! Even if he cheats so he can move ahead to something harder when he's sick. :P

Mom on the Verge said...

ALWAYS let the kid keep working when he's on a roll!! GO KID!! Yay!