Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Post for a Random Wednesday

1.  M1 has mastered the art of writing paragraphs.  We've been working through the book Writing Skills, and he enjoys it... as do I.  It's simply but very clearly written, and its step-by-step approach touches M1's love of all things methodical.  Today he put together all of the concepts we've been talking about - topic sentences, supporting sentences, concluding sentences - and created some masterful paragraphs about given topics.  Here's one:

There are many useful inventions.  Some useful inventions in your home are your refrigerator, oven and dishwasher.  Some useful inventions that you will see outside are cars, roads and power lines.  You can see useful inventions like rockets in museums around the world.  They all help us in different ways.

I'm really proud of him for working hard to understand how to put a simple paragraph together.  I remember when he first came home, at the beginning of first grade, when he hated to hold a pencil, let alone try to write anything.  We've come a long way, baby.

2.  You know you've been watching a little too much BBC America when you realize that the voice inside your head has developed a British accent. 

3.  It's cloudy and gray outside today, which I think is beautiful.  I love that we're having a fairly quiet day at home in which to enjoy it. 

4.  Speaking of rain, tomorrow it's supposed to be rainy and stay in the low 60s.  This is going to seem frigid to those of us who now think 110 is an average summer temperature.  It inspires me to make chili... which begs the question, what do you think proper chili is?  Beans or no beans?  If beans, what kind?  Regular ground beef or coarser meat?  How spicy should it be?  Is green chili really chili at all?  What do you serve with chili?  I will warn you, if you answer Fritos, I may vomit on you.  I cannot stand Frito chili 'pie.'  This may have something to do with the fact that my elementary school served it as part of their regular rotation.  Poorly made chili poured over stale (and then soggy) Fritos topped with cheap cheese did not a good meal make.

5.  My son is wearing a jean jacket.  He stole it from MY CLOSET and it's only marginally too big for him.  This appalls me.  I don't even want to think about the fact that he could also steal my Vans and/or Converse if he wanted.  He's EIGHT, for crying out loud.  The fact that there is a jean jacket and Converse together in this paragraph also frightens me a little.  Can you tell I'm a child of the '80s?  Perhaps I should also buy a crimper.

6.  My arms and shoulders hurt.  I'm okay with that, though, because my mother-in-law got in my car yesterday and instantly said, "You've lost weight."  I haven't so much lost weight as I have lost inches.  Inches are what really matter.  I can now do push-ups (from my knees... my back will never, ever allow me to do regular push-ups) in sets of 15.  My legs haven't looked this good since high school.  I can see the ends of my ribs through my abdomen because my spare tire is deflating.  This is a happy place.

7.  It is Wednesday.  This means there are only two more days until the weekend, and next week's schedule is beautifully quiet.  The rest of this month looks faboo.

8.  Yes, I just typed faboo.

Have a great Hump Day, everyone!

2 comments:

Renee said...

Teaching reading and writing are my biggest fears in homeschooling my kids

SamDIBO said...

Chili in my house means black and kidney beans, hamburger (ground beef) or TVP (a vegetarian ground beef substitute that's dried). We also put in tomatoes, onions and peppers. Garlic is highly required and for heat I used 1 tsp-1 tbs of red chili flakes. And no, green chilies don't count.