Saturday, December 3, 2011

Reverb 2011, Days 2 and 3

OK, so life tends to get in the way of me doing this every day, but let's see if I can answer days 2 and 3 in one post and not make a novel out of it:

Reverb Question #2:  What was the best new resource that you found in 2011? Book, website, local support group, or other? How did it help in your homeschooling journey?


Hmmm... this is a hard one.  I really, really like our new science curriculum, Elemental Science, but I think my best new 'resource' isn't even a resource.  For writing this year, I've more or less been making my own curriculum, and I couldn't be happier.  Now, I'm still using a workbook for some parts of writing - some of the basics - but I've been doing a lot of the instruction on my own, basing it simply on experience, 'what he needs to know,' and his desires.  This week, for instance, we're working on comma usage.  Then we're going to do a poetry unit.  Using this... can I even call it a method?... I think he's absorbing so much, and I'm thrilled at my own ability and confidence to create this subject in a way that he and I can both enjoy it.

All that being said, having some good homeschooling friends is one of the best things ever, and I'm grateful for them, too!


Reverb Question #3:  If you could have one moment  that you could do differently in 2011, what would that moment be?


Y'know, I'm not quite sure how to answer this.  If I look at it from a homeschooling aspect, I would probably have started our current math book earlier and left him work through the end of the old one in between other lessons.  The way Math-U-See is structured, there are some really tough lessons one after another at the end of the book followed by several really easy lessons at the beginning of the next; a good mix would have been a better fit.

I could also answer this from a general perspective.  In that case, I know I've stuck my foot in my mouth several times and wish that I could go back and keep my mouth shut!

-----

Hope everyone is staying warm and dry.  I'm still grateful for the rain, because it's definitely better than a drought, but gosh it is making for a drab, gray weekend.  Off to avoid Bedlam and read a good book!

2 comments:

farmwifetwo said...

We've had enough rain lately to make a person wish for a drought and more on the way.... the Global Warming people told us we'd turn into a desert... I'm just thankful we live on the hill above the fields.

T.L. Ryder said...

I think that learning that sometimes you are your own best resource is a really valuable lesson.