Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reverb 2011, Day One

I didn't do the 'I'm thankful for X' leading up to Thanksgiving.  I personally believe that being thankful is something that happens year-round and doesn't need extra attention just because of an impending holiday.  I know it means a lot to a lot of people to verbalize all their blessings, and I have enjoyed reading their posts, but I think that living with graciousness and gratitude goes a lot farther than posting a daily announcement somewhere.

My opinion.  I have one.  It may not be yours.  I'm thankful for that.

Anyway, despite my aversion to this November tradition, I do enjoy the idea of wrapping up the year in December.  To that end, when I read Rebel Homeschool's idea for wrapping up 2011, I thought, "Ya know... it's so crazy it just might work!"

-----

REVERB 2011, DAY ONE:

The question:  Did you have a turning point in 2011? A point where homeschooling became easier, or conversely, more difficult? 

Did your circumstances, your mindset or your child/children's mindset suddenly click into a new groove with a certain subject or with your homeschooling routine? 
Did unexpected life circumstances throw up new obstacles? Maybe you and yours had more than one turning point. . .

The answer:

I think the turning point for us came prior to that, back when we restarted ADHD medications for M1.  Prior to that, I had been constantly having to rethink school - how it was being done, whether this was something I could do, whether it was something even M1 could do.  Once we started the medication, it all just got so much easier!  He was able to articulate the problems, understand things better, and even initiate changes for himself.  He also loves his schedule that he created (by the way, we talked, and the only change he really wants is to add some computer-based math games to the agenda now and then) and it's made our schedule much easier to handle.

It's been a good year of homeschooling in this aspect.  Can't wait to see what the Reverb will be for tomorrow!

1 comment:

T.L. Ryder said...

I remember your posts around the time you were restarting your son's medication. That really does seem to be a turning point for you guys. I hope the coming year keeps up with the getting better and better trend. :)