Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Birthdays and Easter and Classes - Oh, My!

We're still on Spring Break here in our little corner of the world.  All the public schools are back in session this week, so we do have to get out of our comfort zone and go to swimming and violin lessons as usual, but we're still not up in the school room much unless you count M2, who can't go 24 hours without doing a project or craft of some sort.

Last week was largely spent preparing for and executing plans for M2's 8th birthday.  She had a slumber party with a few of her friends, and it went beautifully.  M1 had a difficult time understanding why he wasn't allowed to participate in (read: take over) the girls' plans, but Oz and I distracted him with a flight simulator and time on his Kindle Fire, so I don't think he missed too much.  This week my grandmother turns 89, and we're going to go up and visit her.  She wants to have a birthday party at her retirement home, complete with cookies and root beer floats.  I sincerely hope that when I turn 89, I'm able to have cookies and root beer floats!  How fun is that?

Easter is on Sunday.  Usually I have candy bought and stashed by now.  This year I've bought candy, but for reasons that have to remain secret because Oz is still in the dark (some of you know what we did with the candy and have seen photos, but SHHH!), the kids know the candy exists and they know that I'm probably going to use it to stuff eggs.  It seems rather to defeat the purpose if they already know what will be IN the eggs, so I may have to have Oz pick each of them up a chocolate rabbit just so they have a little surprise.  We'll see.  Last year the Easter Bunny stopped by.  I suspect a repeat performance may be in the cards this year.

I started the beginner digital photography class last night.  It's the first class I've taken in years, and it's lovely.  I'm very glad Oz pushed me into signing up.  Apparently the classes are usually quite full  - 18-20 people - but our class only had nine people enroll, of which only seven showed up last night.  The instructor seems knowledgeable and kind, and he's been doing this long enough that he knows more or less what to expect.  It's a four-week course, and we're covering the basics - metering, aperture control, shutter speed, ISO settings, and white balance.  It's just what I had been hoping it would be, and I'm already starting to think about the 'final,' which is a photographic scavenger hunt.

Finally, I finished a 9-week exercise program yesterday.  I used EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii, and it wasn't easy.  The program asks you to work out four times a week for those nine weeks, and I can see a difference in my body shape.  I have more of a waist now than I think I've had since before M1 was born.  I weigh about the same as I did then as well.  It's a massive accomplishment, something I've been wanting since M2 came along, and I'm finally there.  I'm not done, though.  I have Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones workout DVD, and I'm going to use that through April, then go back to the Sports Active 2 program and see what the 'hard' setting is like.  It'll probably kill me.  If it doesn't... well, you know the saying.

Hope things are starting to warm up where you are; I'm so very ready for spring!!

3 comments:

Wendy L. Callahan said...

Aw, I like the idea of cookies and root beer floats for the 89th! How sweet.

Mmm, candy...

Are you having fun with the photography class? Isn't it great to get out and do your own thing? I have GOT to do my own thing every day. Life doesn't need to revolve around my kiddos. ;)

So you liked the EA Sports Active? Four times a week isn't bad at all - I used to do 5-6 times a week, 1-3 hours a day. How long are the workouts in EA Sports Active? I might have to try it.

Congratulations on finishing the workout program AND the shaping and weight loss!

Sarah said...

The workout lengths vary according to difficulty level and day of the week. For the medium difficulty, they ranged from 30-50 minutes. You can also create your own programs, too, but I haven't utilized that feature yet. I am never going to be a person who works out daily, and an hour is probably about the max I'll ever do as well. I simply don't enjoy the process. I do it to be healthy, but that's about it.

The photography class is the first thing I've really done for me - other than occasionally going out to dinner or shopping with friends - in years. It feels totally weird.

Kim said...

I'm on a running program...I despise running. But my son wants to do some 5k's and a triathlon. Ughhh!
Kudos for doing some things for yourself. Everyone benefits from mom getting a little me-time. :)