Thursday, March 14, 2013

Gorgeously glorious

My children like big words.  Big, descriptive words.  They may not always pronounce them correctly (I'm looking at you, M1, though I'm almost sad that 'ambulance' is no longer 'lambuance') or be able to spell them correctly (ahem, this would be you, M2 [she's my little Anne Shirley who insists on using all the big words, all the time]), but they love using them.

A couple of weeks ago, M1 brought me something he'd written.  I don't even remember what assignment it was at this point.  Anyway, halfway through the paper, there was a capital S.  Now, I ask M1 to write in cursive.  His cursive is far, far easier to read than his print, and he likes it, so there's no argument.  Anyway, his capital S was perfect...ly backward.  It caught me off guard, and I started giggling.  He asked me what I was laughing at, and as I returned his paper to him, I said, "Your 'S.'  I love it.  It's gloriously backward."

He looked confused.  "Gloriously?"

"Well, it's perfect," I explained, "but it's backward."  He remedied the 'S,' though I hadn't really asked him to, and we moved on.

Since then, though, I've discovered that the kids were so entranced by my slightly ironic use of the word 'gloriously' that they've seen fit to throw it and some of its synonyms into similar use.

Today, for example, M2 was cleaning her part of the bathroom (nobody had flushed the toilet last night - AGAIN - thus causing the upstairs to smell like pee - AGAIN - thus causing Mommy to lose her shit - AGAIN - and state - AGAIN - that nobody got to play outside today till the bathroom was clean), and I asked her what was taking her so long.

"I'm almost done, Mom," the reply sailed down the stairs, "but my vanity was gorgeously dirty."

"Gorgeously?"

"Yes.  It was beautifully covered in stuff I needed to wipe up."

"Well, all right then."

Or M1, looking up a synonym for an exercise on word connotation that I was having them do (they had to write a descriptive sentence about something they liked, then try to change the tone of the sentence just by using synonyms... thus, we have a connotation exercise.  They enjoyed it, actually, except that M1 didn't want to have to use a thesaurus and had been sitting at his desk for 15 minutes staring into space trying to come up with a synonym for one of his words when, HELLO, the thesaurus is 8 feet away, and it's okay to use resources).  "Mom, I'm spectacularly frustrated."

These are the little nuggets I have to write down for posterity, after all, because they won't believe me in six months when I remind them that they did this.

Magnificently, marvelously memorable munchkins. :)

2 comments:

TC Harris said...

I LOVE their love of big words. This whole post made me smile.

Sarah said...

Thank you!!