I am not a crafty person. Even when I look at most things on Pinterest, I think to myself, "But WHY would you want to do that when you can just... not?" However, I've been in a serious funk lately (I know this because I've been buying shoes and haven't been cleaning the house. These are not normal Sarah things. Personality changes indicate a problem. I know that because I watch 'Perception' on TV and it says so). Suddenly the idea of sprucing up M2's bedroom walls became a manageable one. I poked around on Pinterest a bit and found two ideas - making a letter chain of M2's name and making fabric-covered cork pinboards. Feel free to click on the links and follow them through to their more thorough directions, but I'll give you a brief, simple overview of each project here.
The first project we did was the letter one.
We started with supplies, of course: wooden letters, scrapbooking paper, ribbon, Mod Podge, a foam paintbrush, and a craft knife and self-healing cutting board (I like the 'self-healing' part. It amuses me). Oh, and M2 also found some cute flowers that she wanted to add to each letter.
I traced around the edge of each letter (oh, before I go any further, notice the hole in the M? I had Oz drill a little 1/4" hole that so that I could tie the letters together with ribbon more easily. Didn't have to do it on every letter, just the ones that didn't have good ways to tie them) and left some extra room around the edge for cutting error. I did NOT left wiggle room the first time and, well, let's just say it was a good thing the paper was more than twice the size of the letter.
Trial and error are excellent teachers. But I got the hang of it. M2 hung around and directed me regarding which letter went on which paper as well as where on the paper she wanted it to go.
She also wanted to do some of the work, so I set her up with the Mod Podge.
She glued the paper onto each letter...
... and once they were dry, she gave each letter another topcoat so it would be a bit glossy. We let them dry, glued on the flowers, and I tied them with the ribbon.
She and I both thought they came out beautifully!
Our second project was the fabric-covered pinboards.
I let her paint the hoops with tempera paint - any color she wanted. She has one pink hoop, one lilac one, and one... well, you can see it in the middle there. It's multi-colored and very, very M2.
Next I traced the inside of the hoops and cut out the circles with my handy-dandy craft knife. I did the same with the cork liner I'd bought then peeled the sticky back off of the cork and stuck the two circles together.
Then I shoved it all into the hoop. Voila! After that it was only a matter of covering them with the fabric that M2 had selected, putting on the outer hoop, stretching the fabric, and tacking it to the back.
M2 is delighted that her walls now have more decorations on them. We popped into Mardel this afternoon and picked up some big metallic push pins so she can already put her boards to use. The girl is one happy little being. Even she said so... specifically, she said, "Mom, I feel so spoiled!"
It's a good thing, because I think I hit my crafting limit for the year.