Monday, August 12, 2013

Reading

This is in no way related to homeschooling.  I felt I should clarify that right now in case someone gets all excited that I might be talking about kids and reading in the same post, because I'm not going to do that, unless you want to discuss the book Dither Farm, because it was like OMG MY FAV'RIT BOOK EVAR when I was about M1's age, and I just found out it's available as an e-book and I had to download it and re-read it and, yes, it is just as good now as it was then, which I think is saying something because how many times have you gone back and re-read books you loved as a child and thought to yourself, "Just what in the sam-hell was I smokin'?!?"

Seriously.  Dither Farm.
Fun for kids of all ages.
And that, my friends, was a run-on sentence.

Moving on.

No, wait.  Before moving on, I should warn you: the rest of this post is link-heavy.  Click at your own risk.  Preferably right-click so you can open the links in a new tab and keep reading and exploring at the same time.  Rabbit holes can be dangerous, especially when there are books involved.

Now we're really moving on.

Really.

--

Having polished off Dither Farm as well as the library books I'd checked out (specifically Isaac's Storm [nonfiction] and When Christ and His Saints Slept [historical fiction]) and a nonfiction book on the Carolingians that I felt the sudden urge to revisit, I'm actually down to only two books that I'm currently reading.

This is the smallest number of books in my Goodreads 'Currently Reading' section that I've had in months.  I have a long list of books I want to read, but at the same time, I find that the majority at the top of the list are books in a series - Christian Cameron's 'Tyrant' series (these haven't been released as hard copy in the United States, so Kindle is my only option), for example, and the rest of Sharon Kay Penman's trilogy on Henry II.  Some books that I want to read - Fingal O'Reilley, Irish Doctor and the third book in the Discovery of Witches trilogy - aren't out yet; the latter doesn't even have a publishing date.  Also, as you probably noticed, most these books are also historical fiction.  That is my favorite genre, but still... I want to branch out.  This week I'm reading Craig Ferguson's book Between the Bridge and the River and Sir Walter Scott's Rob Roy and have requested The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (warning: site has sound) from the library.

What are your favorite reads right now?  Any suggestions?  And if you're on Goodreads, add me as a friend and I'll go peruse your reading lists!

No comments: