Sunday, December 8, 2013

2014 - A Year of Change?

So I had plans for 2014.  In my head, I had things figured out.  Here's what I thought would happen:

1.  Doodlebug would stop swim and start tae kwon do.

2.  Boo would start sewing classes.

3.  At least one child, probably Doodlebug, would remain at home in the fall.

4.  We would visit Australia, most likely around this time of year in order to take advantage of warm beaches and swimming weather.

-----

The gods sensed my plans.  And they laughed.

-----

Here's what's happening now:

1.  This is still happening.  The facility we've found actually offers a daytime class for homeschoolers, but Doodlebug has stated that he would rather go to the 'regular' class in the evenings.  I'm okay with that.  If he chose, later in the year, to return to swim team, that was an option, but I wanted him to try something else for at least a temporary change.  I suspect that given #3, he won't return to swim, but we'll see.

2.  This is, sadly, up in the air.  I sent an email to the store asking if they were still planning them, but I haven't heard back, which is disappointing.  Boo is desperate to sew, and I don't know what to do if they don't hold the classes.  I'll have to figure something out.  Maybe pay a friend to help teach her.  I don't know.

3.  BOTH kids are probably going to go to public school for the next school year.

Boo had been considering going to public school just like Doodlebug had, and she came to me a few days ago and said that she would like to go back in August.  I wasn't surprised.  She's been happy at home, but not thoroughly so.  She's long lamented the fact that she doesn't have a large circle of friends, and I know she FaceTimes with one of her best friends as often as she thinks is decent and not obnoxious.  She's not good about calling others, though… I need to remind her that picking up the phone is just as simple as using other technology.

Doodlebug was another matter.  Oz expressed his opinions to me the other night when I asked, and he thinks that Doodlebug should at least give public school a shot.  I tend to agree.  Even if it doesn't work out, he thinks that Doodlebug at least needs to know what he's giving up/avoiding.  The last time he was in school, he was in kindergarten.  It was a nightmare, yes, but we've all come a long way since then, and I'm hopeful that with various groups and activities and therapy, he'll be able to manage socially.  If not, he does have the option to return home.

The thought of having no kids at home just weirds me out, but the Type A planner in me is glad that I have many months in which to adjust and in which to check where the kids are, academically speaking.   I suspect the only areas where I really need to focus will be in math, for Boo, since Math-U-See isn't exactly Common Core-aligned, and in social studies for both kids, since I've largely focused on history and haven't really touched on 'social studies' at all… unless you count the general U.S. history that Doodlebug learned a couple years back.  I'm not sure how much of that he will have retained, and Boo probably hasn't heard any of it.  Still, with several months left in the school year, it's easy to remedy.  I've ordered some books and will let the kids read through them, and we'll do some simple projects.  I'm sure they'll be caught up in time.

I'm also sure that they'll have to do some sort of testing at the school to find out exactly where they'll stand.  I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

4.  If the kids are in public school, going to Australia in November/early December probably isn't going to work.  Oz pointed that one out to me this morning.  So we're going earlier in the year.  Ye Olde Tax Refund will probably go toward the trip.  I guess since I won't be spending it on curriculum, it's not a huge deal, except for the fact that instead of having almost a year to put myself into a state of mind where I can handle a 24-hour plane ride (I'm a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad flight passenger) I only have a few months… and, oh yeah, Oz is the only one of us with a passport.  Right-O.  Gotta get crackin' on that, too.

-----

So yeah… 2014 is already changing, and it isn't even here yet.  I'm not sure how I feel about it all yet; ask me in another month, and maybe I'll have an answer.  In the meantime, I'm just going to pour myself a giant mug o' happy and be glad that my Christmas shopping is over.  I ain't gonna let myself get stressed out.  Time to take a few deep breaths and focus on the here and now.

Time to balance the qi.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Oh! Wow! That would be a huge change! I know you'll make the best out of every situation that comes up ;)

Sarah said...

Thanks. I'm not convinced of that myself, but it's good to know that others have confidence in me.

Gillian said...

That's a lot of change going on, but Australia sounds like fun! I wish you the best of luck with your plans.