Monday, December 2, 2013

*poke* *poke* I Think It's Dead...

It is December.  My motivation for doing school with the children is gone.  I think if I could wake up tomorrow and put them on a school bus and wave as it drove away, I would be okay with that.  The kids seemed perfectly content to get up and do school this morning, but I heard the couch singing an awfully loud siren song when I walked past it to get to the coffeepot.

It's not just school that has me thoroughly demotivated.  I don't want to do anything else, either.  I haven't read a book in almost a month.  That giant stack of cards that I have addressed?  I don't want to go to the post office and get stamps to mail them.  I need to order photos to send out with the rest of the cards, but I don't want to go pick them up.

The kids asked me yesterday how come I didn't have the Christmas Countdown chain ready yet.  I told them I'd do it this morning during school.  And I did.  It's hanging on the curtain rod of the window next to the fireplace.  (Side note: Doodlebug can now reach that curtain rod by himself.  Disturbing.)  I put things on it like decorate cookies and read holiday books and make bird feeders, which are all traditions around here and sound fantastic if you're 8 or 11 or have motivation, but all I could think as I was filling out these slips of paper was OMG this stuff takes effort.

Even yesterday, after I pulled out all the Christmas decor, I found myself parked on the couch staring at Facebook while the kids ran around and did my decorative bidding.

I've reached a new low of lazy.

I'm not grinchy.  Au contraire, I am actually planning a holiday party for later this month, so the friends who aren't already horrendously over-scheduled can add one more thing to their list.  I'm excited about the gifts I've gotten for the kids… and probably should be done shopping but keep coming up with new ideas.  I'm having a hard time restraining myself.  I think I've found a good mental compromise, though.  I really need to focus my gift-finding ideas on Oz, but what do you get the man who buys himself whatever he wants?  So far I've had two ideas, and I've given them both to the kids.  I suppose it's time to figure something out.

In the meantime, I'm going to sit here on my backside and wish I was cross-stitching.  That, at least, has been happening.  I suppose I should be glad something is!

2 comments:

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

I'm with you. There's nothing I'd like better than to lay on the couch all day, watching movies with a container of chocolate ice cream on my lap. I think I need to get more exercise and sunlight. Wouldn't you know that it's 40 degrees and drizzling?

Common Household Mom said...

You are not alone. I too am having a hard time getting out of my chair to Do Stuff. I think I am in shock from all that major cooking and hosting I did in the space of 14 days. I enjoyed almost all of it (could have done without the Mother-in-law part) but now I am finding I have to be lazy.