Monday, January 4, 2010

First Day Back

Man, what a start! After having a killer Saturday night out with my girlfriends at the comedy club and the bar, I was really, really not ready to head back to school this morning. Mostly, it was early, like 6:30 a.m. early, and I had gotten quite accustomed to sleeping in till 8:30 or so - I love that the kids are old enough now to really appreciate the value of a good sleep-in!

Anyway, I had alllll these great ideas about how 2010 was going to go. I was going to keep it low-stress (so far... not bad), and I'm also going on the South Beach Diet to finally lose the rest of the weight that I've had for about, oh, eight years now. It predates my kids, so it's pretty fond of where it's at and hasn't had intentions of moving for some time now. Mmmm... clingy fat.

So I got up this morning with good intentions. As far as the diet went, I managed! I was horribly tempted to go treat myself with a batch of truffles after spending 45 minutes on math with my son who finally concluded "I hate math" when what he really meant was "I hate flash cards," but I consoled myself with spending $45 instead to get two Didjes (is that a word?) from kids.woot.com. I told the boy he can have his after he masters his subtraction facts, and M2 can have hers when she 'graduates' preschool.

I was also horribly tempted at dinner, which was taco salad, with the salty smell of chips. CHIPS. The only other time I've craved chips is when I was about 6 months pregnant with M2 and smelled guacamole chips at Wal-Mart and insisted on buying a huge bag and ate half of it and then threw the rest out because the smell made me nauseous. I don't usually crave chips.

I'll probably go a little crazy trying to stay on this diet, especially if the snow doesn't ever melt (we're on day 11 in a state that usually sees snow for 1-2 days at a time), but for now, we'll see. I sure know I felt like I was starving after lunch, and I had a huge, massively supersized bowl of tuna/cucumber salad.

I'll let you know if I survive. Until then, you get to be treated with daily menus so I can keep myself on track.

Day 1, South Beach Hell:
Breakfast: Spinach/mushroom frittata (I made this yesterday, sliced it up, and will be eating off of it all week since the kids know Mama's on a "special" diet and not to touch the "special" food)
Lunch: Tuna/cucumber salad
Dinner: Taco salad
Snacks: 1 oz. nuts; cottage cheese

I darn well better lose weight, and that Didj better live up to it's hype. Otherwise, heads are going to spin.

But that may just be hunger talking. Dang, I miss doughnuts.

2 comments:

Marla said...

Funny post! Best wishes with your diet.

Sarah said...

Thanks, Marla! On both counts!