Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dieting, the sensory way

M1 has Asperger's. Well, technically I lie. His "official" diagnoses are pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified; ADHD; and anxiety.

But he was five when those diagnoses were made, and for all intents and purposes, I have discovered that if I treat him with methods for working with Asperger's children, he functions quite well.

And to 'treat' him that way, sometimes I have to cater to his specific needs. He is HIGHLY touch-seeking, especially lately. He can't walk down the hall without rubbing against the walls or through the kitchen without leaning against the counters. I let him bring his fake fox tail to the grocery store today, and it was the best trip ever because rather than messing with everything else, he had the tail to hang on to. I really appreciate my mother buying him that at the Renaissance faire that she took him to last month. She has no idea. I'll have to let her know.

So right now, while he's in the midst of a growth spurt to defy all growth spurts (today for lunch he ate two sandwiches with homemade wheat bread, bologna, lettuce, and tomato followed by half a canteloupe and a huge brownie), he's especially in need of touch. Of course, it has to be the right KIND of touch.

In my quest to keep him busy and satisfy that need, I pulled out "The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun." Heavens to Betsy, I love that book. It gave me this idea:

Shaving cream!!! Simple idea, right? Completely out of the realm of my meager imagination. M1 dove right in.

M2 was somewhat, shall we say, hesitant.


M1 did try her method.

"And now you put in the flowers, like this, and you make a beautiful blueberry pie."

Not so much. He bailed for more space and sunlight.

And, just like the Energizer bunny, he kept going...

and going... and going.

My girl? Still smoothing. She's more proprioceptive-seeking - LOVES swingsets and roller coasters and amusement parks. This wasn't really her cuppa tea.

But finally... after much persuasion on his part...

... she finally tried it. And BOY did she get into it.

I love it when my kids help each other grow!

No comments: