Sunday, April 18, 2010

What Was in the Box (and other Birthday Stuff)

Well, another birthday has come and gone. I'm another year older. I'd tell you how old I am, but I'd have to lie. And I don't lie. It's a bad example for the kiddos. I'm sure you understand!

BUT... the good part (OK, *one* of the good parts) about this birthday was that I got to open the box!

Here was the first thing I found...

Handy-dandy little egg blower.

And then I found this...


... which caused me to drool over all the designs, like this...

and this...
... and then I opened it up and realized that not only are the designs GORGEOUS, they all have meanings.

Isn't that totally cool??? I'm a sucker for symbolism. Have been ever since Mrs. Potts, my 10th-grade English teacher, helped me discover symbolism in literature. Even my tattoos are symbolic.

Anyway, finally there was this gorgeous little box. It contained these...

The little tools are called kistka. You scoop some of the beeswax into the top of the stylus and then melt it over a candle and it darkens so you can write on the egg and see where your designs are at so you can dunk them into...

the dyes! There's a whole specific order to the dyes, starting with yellow, then green, orange, red, blue, and black. There are other shades, but that's the order I've memorized so far. I have so much to learn! I really and truly can't wait to give this a shot.

My birthday was altogether lovely. M2 got me a very cute card and some silicone potholders. M1 got me a new lawn chair (mine had broken over the last year) and the following card:


Isn't that priceless? I laughed SO hard. M1 was very pleased with himself for finding it.

I also got some other kitchen gear from Oz that I had needed replacements for as well as a wonderful card and the movie "The Proposal." Betty White is such a riot, and Sandra Bullock has been one of my favorite actresses for years. Anyway, then Oz and one of my brothers-in-law went to Lowe's and got stuff and worked in the garage almost the entire weekend on another project for me. There will be pictures later.

Oz also surprised me by having some of my friends meet us at a restaurant for dinner and my stepmother took the kids for the night. I also got dozens of 'Happy Birthday' messages on Facebook and texts from friends.

I am very, very, VERY spoiled. I hope you all have someone in your life who spoils you, too!

1 comment:

Jessica {The Novice Chef} said...

How fun!
Happy belated birthday!!!