Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Beautiful Weekend

I love beautiful weekends. They remind me of the quote from "Anne of Avonlea" by Lucy Maud Montgomery: "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."

The weekend was lovely. It was cool, especially for May, with highs only in the low 70s, so yard work was the name of the game. The kids and I weeded the garden to within an inch of its rhizomatous life. As soon as the *real* plants are tall enough, I'll mulch and hope not to weed again for a long, LONG time. The ground looks so smooth and dark and warm, I can almost imagine the plants sighing with happiness and spreading their roots out underground.

Oz mowed and weedeated (is that a word??) and started removing stumps from some shrubs we'd cut down until he realized that his brother still had his Sawzall. So instead he cleared out the brush pile that had been sitting in the corner of our yard for a couple of years. It had doubled as a wild rabbit warren from time to time, but the pile was infested with barbed wire, so it really was a hazard.

The horses were gone for the weekend, and we took a family jaunt down to the back of the property to check on all the blackberry bushes. One of them has been completely choked by honeysuckle, but several others are starting to produce, and I'm excited to see what the yield will be this year. The kids found a couple of passionfruit plants, and M1 ran to the pond to check for tadpoles - none yet.

On Sunday we ordered pizza for lunch - something we NEVER do - and sat around watching NASCAR until it was time to go to a birthday party where all the kids got along marvelously and there were no major issues at all. M2 had a blast playing with all the girls, and M1 enjoyed the fact that he wasn't pressured to play with anyone. In fact, for a good chunk of the party he sat next to the fence and played games on Oz's phone. But it was a great party and both kids came home exhausted and happy!

Yesterday was good, too. M1 took a nap to try to get rid of the last of the cold virus he's been fighting. M2 came home a tad worked up but snapped herself out of it by going outside and spending time on her bike and cleaning up parts of the garage since Daddy hadn't done that yet and she felt it needed to be done. My mother-in-law came over to visit and borrow our printer, and when she left, she offered to take one of the dogs home with her so that he could be groomed for summer. I got her a leash and promised to come get him later this week.

Today I went to the dentist, got my rear in gear and cleaned the house - M1 helped without being bribed! - and fixed a fantabulous dinner of grilled beef (I seriously love my two-sided cast iron griddle and highly recommend them to anyone who has a gas stove) with cucumber raita, tabouli, whole wheat rolls, and Waldorf salad. I even took the kids to the book fair!

I'll admit that there have been a few kinks this evening and M2 is very worried about the dog at the moment, as he's run away from my MIL's house and may not return, but that's how life works sometimes. Murphy's Law and all that. I refuse to let it ruin my week, though. Sometimes bad things happen, but it's all about perspective. I plan to have a good week anyway!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Ohh I'm guessing it's not Speedbump that MIL took then. Poor kid worried about the dog :( And YAY for a good weekend!