Friday, May 6, 2011

What a Week

I'm ready for May to be over.  Really I am.  It's deciding to put up a fight.  Today, for example, my entire body went into revolt and refused to let me move without pain.  I have a wonderful husband who stayed home and told me to go back to bed, which I did, and the next thing I knew the phone rang and my watch said 1:25.

1:25 p.m.

I did not know it was possible for me to sleep over 12 hours at a time.  I still hurt, but at least now I can move without feeling like my body is going to come apart in random-sized chunks.  Methinks I need to see a chiropractor sooner rather than later these days.  Must get off my duff and call one.

I am experiencing the joy of planning for and cooking a low-cholesterol diet.  This is not for me.  This is not for Oz.  This is for M2.  Her cholesterol - total, nonfasting - is 234.  She's six.  SIX.  We eat mostly whole grains, organic foods, veggies, fruits, etc.  There are hardly any sweets, though I will admit M2 has a penchant for cheese and other dairy products.  But the pediatrician has asked us to put her on a low cholesterol diet for three months and then come back for fasting labs.  I'm staring into the face of teaching my daughter how to avoid 'bad foods' at the age of 6.  It's a curveball I wasn't expecting.

M2 forgot she had art class after school yesterday and went out to the car line to wait for me to come pick her up.  Usually I'm one of the first parents in line.  Thankfully I was at the school playing substitute teacher, so I was there when I went to the art class to check on whether one of the pre-K students was supposed to be attending or not and realized that my daughter wasn't in there, so I went looking for her and found her just in time for a full-fledged meltdown.  She didn't go to art.  She came home, refused to practice her violin, and spent an hour or two riding her bike in circles in the driveway for stress relief.

Next Wednesday has just blown up in my face.  M1 and I are supposed to go to a meeting with some other homeschooling families to prepare for a trip to a one-room schoolhouse later this month.  We NEED to go to this meeting.  It's not really optional.  But M2's teacher caught me after school today and informed me that their class trip to an ice cream factory - one that M2 has been looking forward to all year - is going to be next Wednesday.  I had promised M1 he could go on this trip, too.  I missed the last field trip, and M2 is going to lose her flippin' mind if I don't drive her to this one.  But we can't miss this meeting.  I don't know what to do.  Did I also mention that I allowed myself to be put on the ballot for the position of co-chair of the PTA equivalent for M2's school?  And that I have never once been to a meeting?  I really don't know what's wrong with me... I'll find out next week whether I 'won.'  Part of me is amused, because I've never won any sort of popularity contest in my life.  Ever.  Ever ever evah

Next Friday is Friday the 13th.  I have a fear of traveling on Friday the 13th.  I do not know why.  There is no logic behind it.  But I get to drive down the turnpike - the same one in which I was in a wreck on Thanksgiving 2009 - on that day to take M2 to her state violin solo festival... competition... thing.  I won't lie; I'm a tad freaked out about the idea.  I'll do it.  I'm just going to be extra, extra paranoid.

My computer cord fell apart on Wednesday, complete with sparks.  Thank heaven for Amazon Prime.

May is killing me.

----

On the positive side...

M1 had his best swim class ever yesterday.  This is according to his teacher.  I am so, so glad.  He is in a much happier, calmer place these days.

M1 also wrote some really good stuff this week.  He even wrote a play.  And typed it.  And printed it.  And it's adorable.

M2 only threw one fit this week.

Both kids have helped re-dig out the garden since I hadn't planted anything in it yet. That's partly due to the fact that we're on the edge of the drought zone - the pictures are scary, especially when compared to those from the Dust Bowl - and I really didn't want to plant a garden and then have a watering limitation.  And up until this week, we've still been getting the odd frost.  I think I'm going to plant a few things this weekend, but not much.  We shall see.

Oz rocks.  He took M2 to the swimming lesson yesterday.  He took the day off today, did four loads of laundry, edumacated the boy, and helped clean the house.  He even said he'd take next Friday off if I wanted so that I didn't have to take M1 to a friend's house while I take M2 to her violin thing.  He took M1 to get a haircut yesterday.  He is a good man.

May might suck, but I am still a lucky girl.

1 comment:

Brilliant Creations said...

Luckily we've moved it to Tuesday!!! You should have said something....this is about everyone! Let me know...