Saturday, May 14, 2011

Just Breathe

It's been a crazy week.  I knew it was going to be, but what I hadn't counted on was the toll it is taking on me and my mental stability (which wasn't all that stable to begin with). 

Monday I did chores around the house, though I still haven't managed to make the half a dozen phone calls to various doctors and family members that I need to make.  I have cards sitting on my end table reminding me to call the pediatric ophthalmologist for M1, the vet for Dorian Gray, Oz's stepmother to thank her for the birthday card and gift (yes, my birthday was nearly a month ago, and yes, I am a horrible, horrible daughter-in-law), and a friend to RSVP for a baby shower.  There's also an invitation to a birthday party on Sunday, but that friend and I talk almost daily, so she knows I'm coming.  I also need to call a podiatrist for M1.

On Tuesday M1 and I went to a friend's house to go over materials for the one-room schoolhouse field trip that we're taking in a couple of weeks.  This is the meeting that had been scheduled for Wednesday but which sorted itself out to Tuesday before I could get too worked up about it and make a definitive decision on what I wanted to do.  I like when things work themselves out.  I also must say I enjoyed watching M1 wash a shirt by hand.  He really went after it and actually got the dirt out!  He was appalled when it dried and was stiff and had wrinkles everywhere, though.  He said to me, "Mom, now I know why they ironed everything."  That's correct, son... and it's also why the dryer was invented.  This mama irons diddly-squat.

Yesterday M2's class went on their field trip to the ice cream factory.  M1 and I tagged along (OK, I drove my two plus two other kids).  The best part really is the free ice cream at the end, though I must say I love the way the employees take a couple seconds to wave at the kids from the floor where they're working.  While we were there, one of the other moms asked me what time we were supposed to show up for the performance tonight (Thursday).  "You mean... that's tomorrow??" I asked her.  She seemed rather unsure and asked one of the teachers if this was so.  It was.  Of course it was.  And of course M2 is supposed to come dressed as a pirate.  It would have been nice to have had knowledge this more than 36 hours beforehand!  I'm sure it was printed on a calendar somewhere, but it sure as heck didn't make it into last week's newsletter, and that's what I go by.  *sigh*

So today I am doing the following:  Taking M1 to his last swimming lesson, going shopping for one last piece of curriculum for next year, going shopping for a gift for the birthday party on Sunday, praying M2 doesn't forget that she has art this week, picking her up from art, bringing her home, having her practice violin because her solo festival/competition is tomorrow (Friday), having her change clothes into something pirate-esque, fixing and eating an early dinner, and heading back to the school for the Fine Arts Night.  This is all in addition to the regular stuff.

Friday will entail several loads of laundry and a trip down to the city for the solo festival.  M2 is looking forward to getting out of school for it, and M1 is looking forward to spending an entire afternoon with one of his friends. 

In the meantime, the house is going straight to poo because even though I cleaned parts of it earlier this week, it already looks like it needs work again.  The garden needs work, too.  Various rooms need attention.  I just can't seem to stay ahead of the game, and it's depressing.  By the end of the day, I find myself parked on the couch with no energy and no motivation to do anything, but I can't sleep because my mind is racing and I'm a natural night owl anyway.  I stare at my calendar for the summer and wonder how it got so full so fast and wonder if I'll ever get a moment to myself.  For now, though, I just have to keep telling myself to breathe.  Just breathe.

2 comments:

Learning 4 Life said...

I know how you feel. I've had a busy week too. I think it is just the nature of spring... busy, busy, busy. But you're right, take time to BREATHE :-)

rowan said...

Gosh, I could have written your last paragraph myself. Breathing is good advice. Thank you!!! And good luck! :-)