Monday, July 18, 2011

Mom Never Gets the Whole Story

M1 headed to camp this morning.  I love this camp.  It's been around for decades, the staff is amazing, and best of all, it's close to the house!  M1 went for the first time last year, and he's been impatient to go again.  He goes to a camp called Camp 1/2 & 1/2, because they spend two days at a day camp and three days (two nights) at a camp about an hour away. 

Last year, M1 ran into a slight bully problem.  I never got a phone call about it, though I'm sure I would have if things had gotten out of hand, and I never even saw the other kid involved.  (Honestly, I don't even know his name and I'm not sure M1 does, either.)  However, I can assume that M1 antagonized him in some way and then the other kid retaliated to an extent that M1 couldn't handle.  And kept retaliating.  In any case, by the end of the week, M1 had had enough and was ready to escape.

When M1 got in the van at the end of the day today, I asked him about his group.

"It's good," he said.

"Good... did you get along with everyone?"

"Well, I mostly played by myself."

Not unexpected.  "But you liked the people in your group."

"Yeah, I do.  This year is better than last year.  I saw that guy from last year, though."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, and my conscience told me that I should go after him and get revenge, but I didn't listen to it and I walked away."

"Good choice."

And that was that... until M1 was telling Oz all about his day on the phone later, via FaceTime.  I was holding the phone while M1 talked, so it wasn't like I was eavesdropping. 

"So no bullies this year, huh?"  Oz asked.

"No.  Well, I saw the guy from last year.  At least, I think it must have been him because he looked almost exactly like him and he came up to me and said that he remembered a guy from 1/2 & 1/2 last year who looked like me and attacked him."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, and I said that I remembered a guy from last year, but he attacked me... and then we started the fights again until I realized that it wasn't a smart idea, and then I found a way to get away and I avoided him for the rest of the day.  [slight pause] And I think I'll avoid him the rest of the week, too."

*facepalm*  I love the half-truths that moms get before the rest of the story comes out.  Bottom line, though, is that he made the right choice, and for that, I give him credit.  I'll keep my mouth shut about the rest!

1 comment:

Mom on the Verge said...

Oy vey. I swear, when The Boy was in public school, I got more information from the other moms, via the gosssiping little girls than I ever did from the teachers, administration, or The Boy himself.

GOOD LUCK!!