Thursday, November 24, 2011

In Which I Propose a New Tradition

Well, the Thanksgiving meal has come and gone.  Mostly gone.  There are a few leftovers.  Most of them were left at my grandmother's house for her to nosh on over the next week, but I did come home with some ham, the remainder of the pies (apple and pumpkin), and some cherry tomatoes.

When we got home, the children promptly announced that they were hungry and each ate a small ham sandwich and some of the tomatoes.  I want that sort of self-control and metabolism back.

We had a lovely dinner.  My grandmother belongs more to the Norman Rockwell genre than the paper-plates-in-front-of-the-TV genre, so we ate off the china plates and out of the crystal bowls and drank from the crystal wine glasses.  Even the children got to do this (except for the wine glass part, of course) because my two are the only ones in the family.  They wouldn't even know what to do with a kids' table!

We had turkey, ham, and all the fixin's.  Of course we all had to have a little of everything to start with and seconds of some things, and even though I really truly did pace myself, didn't overflow my plate and only had seconds of one dish, I'm still stuffed to the brim.

I'm sure I'm not alone here.

So, with that in mind, I'd like to propose a new tradition:  The Thanksgiving Weekend Fast.  The rules are simple:  Food is verboten until such time as you actually feel hunger again.  At the rate I'm going, I suspect it'll be Saturday, perhaps Sunday, before this happens.

For now, I'm going to sit in a food- and travel-induced haze and be thankful that I have such a wonderful family and that we're blessed with such abundance.

Hope everyone had a wonderful, drama-free Thanksgiving (and if you didn't, I hope you at least got some good stories out of the deal)!  :)

3 comments:

Wendy L. Callahan said...

LOL - I love that! Honestly, after our Thanksgiving dinner, we didn't eat supper. Just snacked on nuts and cookies here and there, a small sliver of pie, and quite a bit of mint tea.

Thanks so much for your comment - I feel much, much better today.

Enjoy your leftovers! When you're actually hungry for them, that is. ;)

farmwifetwo said...

Thanksgiving here was moved to Oct when they put in Remembrance Day. We did the turkey here and went to a local fall fair. It's a holiday, but unlike the US not that big a deal. Xmas is the big one.

We keep thinking we should lock the doors for Xmas, put our feet up, hang out - too much food, drinks, books, tv, video games, napping - but it never seems to happen. Makes for an exhausting holiday instead of a fun one.

T.L. Ryder said...

I'm totally with you on the post-Thanksgiving fast. :)