Monday, April 16, 2012

I Don't Have Time for a Birthday

Today is Monday.  Today is a Monday.  Interesting how one little article adjective can change the entire meaning of a sentence, isn't it?  And yes, today is very much A Monday.  I got up this morning - woke up would be too strong of a phrase since I'm not entirely sure I actually slept more than 30 minutes last night because the sheets kept getting warm and while I love warm sheets normally, last night my body desired the sheet temperature somewhere around freezing - and promptly started having a crappy day.  I got up late, for one thing, because I actually forgot that I was supposed to get up at 6:48 when my snooze alarm went off for the second time.

Coherent, I was not.

Anyway, once my feet did hit the floor, I had to strip all the beds (they have yet to be remade, with the exception of mine... which Oz did), make M2's lunch, feed both children, sort and start laundry, empty the dishwasher, and take M2 to school.  When we got out to the car, we discovered that the seats were still folded down from our trip to the storage unit yesterday.  So we had to put seats back in their regular upright positions before we could go anywhere.

M1 and I got back home, and I realized I was almost out of laundry detergent, so I had to start a new batch.  The school binder broke the second time M1 opened it this morning.  The front simply came off.  I know he wasn't yanking on it, so I blame manufacturer error.  If I had the time and inclination, I'd gripe about that, but for now, I'm just sending a large raspberry in its direction and letting it be.  Que sera sera and all that.

The contractors showed up this morning to work on the foundation of the house.  This is a positive, since it's the last big thing we have to do before listing the house (as long as you don't count cleaning, which is a ginormous task that I'm not even contemplating right now), but it does provide yet another distraction, especially since they're amusing me by repeatedly taking photos of the horses.

Did I mention that M1 has his head firmly lodged up his posterior sphincter today?  It took him an hour and a half just to do spelling.  It's 10 a.m. and he's finally gotten to math.  I'm thinking there may be subjects dropped today just to preserve the collective sanity.

So that's today.  So far.  And this entire week has a schedule that would make me crazy at the best of times, and clearly this is NOT the best of times.  M2 has a field trip out of town one day, followed by a 2.5-hour dress rehearsal after school (which I'm not allowed to attend) for a talent show that takes place on the following day.  She has a violin lesson as usual, but she also has a rehearsal on Saturday for a performance on Sunday.  All this means she's incredibly burned out, and I can't blame her.  M1 and I had short-lived viruses over the weekend, and his has turned into some sort of sinus infection.  I need to do a sinus rinse with him and see if that fixes things, because I do not have time to take him to the doctor.

I also don't have time for my birthday.  Theoretically this should be tomorrow.  But since I don't have time to do anything, my good friend C has proposed that I postpone my birthday a week and stay 29 for a few extra days until her husband is back in town to watch the kids and we can go out.  Besides anything else, she said, it'll give me something to look forward to.

I really like her logic.  Because next week will be better.  It's gotta be.  So that's when I'll have my birthday, and hopefully we'll also get to list the house!

2 comments:

SamDIBO said...

Ya know, I wish I had thought of that! I didn't have time for a birthday this year either but I never thought of simply making up a new birthday. *note to self* Happy birthday for next week!

Beth said...

Love the idea of just making it whatever day you want it to be.. Could have so used that a few years now.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! And good luck to your wee girl on her performances :)