Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Well, It Was Memorable

So if I wasn't lazy, I'd be showing you photos I've taken with my new camera because HELL YES I've been using it.  My husband and children are already tired of me.  The cats may also be done having a lens stuck in their faces, but they've been eyeing me with disdain for years, so I really can't tell a difference.

But.  I'm lazy.

So instead, let me tell you about my day.  Completely unrelated photos to follow in another post.

My birthday started at roughly 3:30 a.m. with the announcement of a small girl standing beside my bed: "Mom, my tummy hurts. I think I'm going to urp."

My first thought of the day: "Oh, nooooo, not on the bed."

She did not wind up blowing chunks, thank goodness, but she did spend the rest of the night up and down with a puny stomach and nothing to show for it other than an increasingly miserable girl.  By 7 a.m., she was full-on crabby.  Most of the time I let her have these days off of school as mental health days (I know it's largely due to anxiety over her upcoming violin performances), but she'd been doing better with her anxiety issues, and also she's always fine by 9:30 or 10 a.m.  So I told her that she could come with M1 and I while he got his allergy shot and I'd drop her at school on our way home.  And I did.

And at 1 p.m., I got a call from the school saying that she had been in the sick bay for an hour and a half (they'd have called me sooner but she'd been napping) and refused to eat anything.  I think they managed to get three crackers into her, which is more than I'd managed at breakfast, so I gave them credit.  I told them I had to load up the van and I'd be on my way.

Here's what I had to load into the van:

  • M1, in swim jammers
  • M1's bag of swim gear and towel
  • M1's schoolwork for tomorrow, complete with sharpened pencils, erasers, glue, scissors, crayons, etc.)
  • An overnight bag for M1
  • M2's violin
  • M2's violin books
  • A book for me to read during swim in case the woman I often talk to wasn't there (I haven't particularly hit it off with most of the other moms, which has little to do with them and more to do with the fact that we don't have much in common)
  • Healthy snacks so I could try to make M2 eat something
  • A giant bag of Oz's old clothes to go to Goodwill
I picked M2 up on the way to swim.  M1 swam while M2 lay miserably on the cold, dirty concrete floor of the parent room at the swim school.  I kept trying to get her to snuggle on my lap, but she didn't want to.  The floor was preferable.  After we left swim, I managed to get a small piece of beef jerky into her.  It wasn't a banana like I wanted, but it was something.  I dropped M1 off at my mother-in-law's house and headed to M2's violin lesson.  Two blocks from the teacher's house - I was literally turning into the neighborhood - when disaster struck.  I had stopped at a stop sign and turned around to encourage M2 to eat a few bites of banana... when I watched her induce vomiting.  She didn't stick a finger down her throat or anything.  She was simply staring at the banana and making upchuck motions... and succeeded.  Admirably.  Sooooooo I turned the van right instead of left and promptly took the child home, where I cleaned out the van and she took a shower.  She then declared that she felt hungry and ate a (different) banana.


She went to bed and took a brief nap before getting up, chipper as ever, and finishing off the last of my baked potato for dinner, as well as a piece of bread and butter.

So far she's kept that down.  I thought she'd be up for hours after taking two naps today, but she was fast asleep by 9.  I checked on her a little bit ago and asked her - both kids are prodigious sleep talkers, something they get from Oz - how she was feeling.

I got a grin.  "FAAAAANtasky," she announced before rolling over and curling back up.

The best part of my day?  Oz mowed the lawn and made me dinner - grilled steak, baked potatoes, salad, and lemon meringue pie.  With beer.

He salvaged what had been a horribly rough day.  I am grateful to him.  And to everyone else who has sent birthday wishes my way today.  Thank you all, and I hope your week is going better than mine!

1 comment:

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

Wow! What a birthday you had!! I have to admit I have had a few of those myself. It seems all the forcees always come together to ensure a mother's birthday is filled to the brim with things like sick kids and other catastrophes!! But you sound like a great Mom. I wish you a happy birthday!!