Friday, August 17, 2012

What a Day!

Today has been one for the books.  When we got up this morning, I knew it was going to be a busy day... I just did not even begin to realize how busy.

We did some school, but we had to be out the door by 10:30 because we went to a "back-to-school" party at a friend's house.  The local public schools start back this week or next, and it was a good excuse for a group of us to get together for one last hurrah before the hectic school year schedules start up for good.  (By the way, crab dip and roasted chickpeas, recipes courtesy of Pinterest... NOM).  We left there about 1 p.m.

We came home, finished up the rest of the school day, whipped out some laundry, and did a chore or two before the kids saw other kids running around outside and dashed out to join them.  I went out to say hi to the mom who was accompanying the group, and the next thing I knew, my kids were headed back into the house to change into swimsuits because the mom had offered to take them swimming along with the rest of the brood (6 kids total, including my two... and yes, I do know the mom enough to trust her... and I got her phone number to boot).  They left about 4:30.  M1 apparently told her that they had to be home by 6:30 (true... I usually serve dinner between 6 and 6:30, and I'm thrilled that my son is finally learning that time - even other people's - is important), so they wandered back in the door at 6:29.

We ate dinner, they changed back into regular clothes, and then even MORE friends - M1's best friends, who are twins - came over to play.  One of the neighbor boys asked his mom if he could come over and show my two plus the twins how to hunt for crawdads in the creek, and next thing I knew there were four 9-year-old boys scouring the creek with nets and a plastic water bottle to catch a whole passel of crawdads.  The 7-year-old girl did not choose to participate.  She regaled my friend and I with her hula-hoop and Skip-It skills.


The boys were successful and very proud of their catch.

By the time everyone packed up and went home, it was fully dark.  I put one child in the tub upstairs and one child in my shower and packed them off to bed as soon as it was feasible.  We have more friends coming to play in the morning, and I'm sure both kids will be outside in the afternoon if there are more neighbor kids about.  We have so many friends to be grateful for - it's awesome!

No comments: