Thursday, January 31, 2013

Winter Burnout (and a lot of randomness)

The kids and I are on the verge of winter burnout this week.  We've been running around all over the place, and I haven't had a chance to relax since... um... sometime a week or two ago.  Plus I had a weird virus attack me over the weekend and was only recovering on Sunday (which is when I made Oz's FABULOUS birthday dinner of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans), so the weekend kind of didn't exist for me.  Even if it had, I still wouldn't have really been able to sit down and enjoy it.  We had too much going on.

So today I'm going to make a random list about of a lot of things I've posted about lately and some things I haven't.

1.  The kids are currently building a giant castle out of Dots.  We were 'supposed' to use gumdrops, but that's a lot of sugar-coated mess.  Dots are cleaner.  And since I haven't cleaned my house in close to a month (no time, no energy), I'll take clean where I can.

2.  M2 finally used birthday money he got in October, combined it with some Christmas money, and bought himself a giant box of Horrible Science books.  If you've never ordered from Horrible Ray, let me assure you: the site may not be the prettiest, but he's trustworthy.

3.  The story is trudging along.  I have 15 pages written so far.  It's not spectacular, but it's something.

4.  The seeds I planted a week ago were apparently laced with speed.  Several have already sprouted, and I'm going to have to thin/transplant them soon.  Some haven't come up yet, but that's okay.  I wasn't expecting such an accelerated timetable from any of them.

5.  M1 had another swim meet earlier this week.  He won his breaststroke heat (he won breaststroke in his meet two weeks ago as well) and came second in his freestyle and butterfly heats.  He should garner some ribbons for that, and his confidence is building.  I'm so stinking proud of him.

6.  I have now read The Phantom Tollbooth, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and am in the middle of The Book Thief.  Next up is finishing Anna Karenina.

7.  Oz had a birthday this week.  He is now 34.  When he turned 30, it didn't bug him.  This birthday is bugging him.  I'm somewhat amused.  Also, both of my parents and Oz's dad turn 60 this year.  Any ideas for gifts you can purchase in bulk for folks turning 60?  (Kidding, kidding... mostly....)

8.  Just for grins, I took the free Mensa home test today.  I 'passed.'  Apparently I qualify to take the real test for membership.  Because a club for people who like to feel smarter than everyone else is SO something I could get into.  Not.  I like to think I'm not an elitist.

9.  I need ideas for Valentine's Day.  I have a problem with it being two weeks away already.  And it's two days after Mardi Gras.  Mmmmmmmmmm kingcakeandcrawfishandnomnomnom....

10.  In addition to the plethora of baby guppies in our fish tank (we're up to 5; three adolescents and 2 babies), we now also have a baby molly.  Calculated neglect - the best way to raise gardens and fish.  I wonder if it works on children...

11.  It rained all day Tuesday.  This makes me happy.  I'm really appreciating rain now that we don't see it that often.  I'd still like snow.

12.  There's an engineering fair coming up in March.  I'm going to drag my kids.  Anyone else want to go?

I told you this was going to be a random post.  Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

slimegreen said...

Whew! That's a lot going on. I hope you get to relax soon!

Kim said...

I am stunned by how much you get done. You need to teach a course on time management. I'll sign up!

Sarah said...

No... YOU need to teach that course. I've seen your planner! You're accomplishing far more than I am!

Beth said...

Ohhh engineering fair~! I know 2 little people who would never want to leave that place..You people have *planners* what are these strange contraptions? I just go through each day hanging on to my pants with the hope they don't fall off with all stuff I'm supposed to zing through..