Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Keep Calm? You've GOT to be Kidding.

I'm trying to focus on the positive today.  Find my inner Qi/Zen/peace.

Breathe in, breathe out.

This week has not improved with age.

The boy-o finished up yesterday's work at noon and still, at 4:25 p.m., has three more subjects of today's work to complete.  This is actually an improvement over yesterday, when he didn't get Monday's work finished until noon-ish and we were home all morning.  At least today he has the excuse that we were at the therapist's office for an hour.

(Note to self:  This is not how you walk away from the negative.  Breathe in, breathe out...)

Boo is doing well!  She's done with today's work and has practiced her violin in her newly-rearranged room (the girl has her grandmother's room-rearranging tendencies and isn't happy unless everything is moved and redecorated regularly) with a checklist that her teacher has started giving out each week.

Doodlebug's therapist is still working out beautifully.  We stumbled on an excellent one, and I couldn't be happier.  He pulled me in first today, and we chatted about plans.  We're still trying to manage Doodlebug's anger and energy into more productive, positive channels - not burying the anger, just handling it in a healthy fashion.  Yesterday I couldn't open my mouth without ugliness coming out of his, and that's not helping anyone.

I mentioned today that we'll put him into public school this fall, and he wants to get Doodlebug's assessment/diagnoses updated, either through the school or through private channels, since the only one we have is from when he was 5 and which was done through an office that has since dissolved.  Then he wants to see if we can get the IEP ball rolling before summer even gets here so that there's a firm plan in place before Doodlebug walks through the door in August.

I like this idea.  A lot.

He also recognized, even before I said anything, that there's only a 50/50 shot of public school working out for Doodlebug.  It made me happy that we were on the same page and recognized the same stumbling blocks and had the same thoughts about solutions for them.  When a parent and a doctor are on the same page, good things happen.

I called Doodlebug's pediatrician yesterday and made an appointment to discuss adding a low-dose stimulant to his current Intuniv.  Anything that can help him focus is, at this point, a positive step.

I'm making progress on my reading, my cross-stitch, and a couple other projects I wanted to tackle this month.  Now if I can only get my car in for its detailing...

Several of my friends are having birthdays this week, and we're going out this weekend to celebrate.  We're all very ready to escape, I think.  I've promised to drive, since my birthday is NOT this month, so that the birthday girls can have a little extra fun.  They need it, too (one of them had her house flood this week, for example, and while that should be covered under her home warranty, they're trying to say it isn't).  So obviously I'm excited about getting together, but in the meantime, my life is a little more like this:


than like this:


Hang in there, y'all.  I know I'm not the only one having a rough week.

2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

This sounds like one of those weeks where you have to keep your eye on some prize-like thing that comes later. For instance, going out with friends on the weekend! I hope you are able to keep your calm in the meantime.

farmwifetwo said...

Public school may have a 50/50 chance of working but at the same time if he won't work at home, that isn't an option. Your nerves, your health and your blood pressure... will go through the roof.

I want to send mine to a boarding military school about an hour away but they don't have funding for those that can't pay the $40,000 a year. Plus, Dh wouldn't agree to it.

But I think about it regularly....