Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Death is Contagious

You know how there are those days/weeks/months when it seems like everyone is getting married?  And then those days/weeks/months when everyone seems to be popping out kids left and right (and almost all of them are one gender)?

Yeah, well, welcome to the Month of Death.  El mes de muerte.  I do enjoy alliteration, perhaps a little too much.

In the last three days, three of my friends have been affected by deaths in their family.  One of my neighbors lost of her grandfather, a good friend of mine lost her father, and one of my best friends lost her grandmother.

My heart aches for them.  There is little I can do but offer support (and keep a neighborly eye on vacant homes), but I wish I could do more.

Still, sometimes I marvel at how the universe works.  My neighbor had already planned to visit her grandfather in Arizona this week when she got the news that he had passed.  So instead of celebrating a birthday, she'll be attending a funeral, but at least she has the ability to go and say goodbye.  The friend who lost her grandmother had already planned to take a trip this week as well.  She had intended to go on more of a pleasure trip to meet her boyfriend's family down South, but now she's planning a trip to West Virginia instead.  My friend who lost her father had moved her parents into her home a few months ago so she could work on their health and make their lives better.  She is the one for whom I probably ache the most.  Losing a grandparent is hard, yes, but not as unexpected.  Losing a parent is harder, I would imagine, especially when you've been planning to spend years with them and suddenly realize time has run out.

Logically, I know that death is part of life, and when it happens, it happens.  We all deal with it, and as we get older, we see more of it and with each one, we become slightly more inured to the idea of our own eventual demise (OK, I do, at least).  However, it still surprises me how these things happen in groups, how suddenly there might be a whole slew of marriages or divorces or babies or deaths within only a few months.

It almost makes me hold my breath… to see which domino will fall next.  Hopefully it is none of yours.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

I don't know if events like these really do happen in clumps, or if our minds just have a natural tendency to clump events together. Either way, that's some difficult stuff going on for all those people.