Friday, March 2, 2012

So proud of my lil' dude

Do glasses come equipped with maturity?  I just want to know.  Because what has occurred in this house over the last couple of days is nothing short of miraculous.

M1 loves his glasses.  They're technically reading glasses, but his ophthalmologist assured me that if he wanted to wear them 24/7 it wouldn't hurt his vision because the only prescription in the lenses is a bit of a prism.  So he wears them constantly.  *I* think they make him look young and adorable, but *he* thinks they make him look older.

And, well, if he looks older, he also thinks he should act older.

He was being difficult for a while today.  After the third or fourth reprimand, I sent him to his room for the rest of the afternoon.  Since it was already about 4:15 p.m., that wasn't too long to begin with, but the exile was made even shorter when Oz and I had to gather up the kids so we could take our very first load of boxes to the newly-rented storage unit.  (For the record, I've done a fairly decent job of keeping the house clutter-free.  If we didn't need the square footage - an office for Oz and a school room for the kids and I - there would be no reason for us to move.  It's nice that storage isn't the problem!)

After we got home, I asked M1 to clean up his room.  I expected that he wouldn't be particularly keen to do that, but to my surprise, he calmly agreed.  And not only that, but he then went and did it.  AND... he came out in the middle of it (to return some glue to his art box) and apologized for having been disobedient.

I was so shocked, I don't even remember what I said.

I've talked to him time and time again over the years about taking responsibility, being respectful, and treating others the way you want to be treated, but I thought it would be one of those things that wouldn't sink in until he was out on his own, if I'm honest.  I'm sure this is a fluke and I'll eat my words in a week or two.  But if I'd known that all it took to start the process was a pair of glasses to make him look older, I'd have bought him a fake pair years ago!

No comments: