Saturday, March 31, 2012

I Mowed the Lawn Today

We're still working on the house.  Some days it seems like the end is nowhere near as close as it was just a few weeks ago, but I know we're making progress.  We just have some fairly big projects right here at the end.  The house has to be painted.  We have to level the foundation.  We have to paint the kitchen, repair the carpet in the hall, and clean like our lives depend on it.  That's really all that has to be done before we put the house on the market; it just seems like everything is taking forever.

My perspective may be a bit skewed.

Anyway, since Oz was busy powerwashing and painting trim and working on other bits and pieces around the exterior of the house, I volunteered to mow the lawn.  I haven't mowed the lawn in forever.  We have a riding lawn mower, so it's not a tough job, and I love to mow.  I just haven't done it.  This is usually because either Oz or I has to keep an eye on the offspring while we're mowing because if you look up the word shenanigans in the dictionary, you'll see a photo of my children nearby.  They are imps.  However, M1 was in a particularly benevolent mood today because I promised him that he could have some time on his Kindle if he behaved.  And he didn't want to do anything to screw that up, because it's been nearly a month since he's had any real electronics time (again, see shenanigans, especially those carried out at 3 a.m.).

Oz got the mower out of the shed, and I set to work.  It takes about an hour to mow our entire lawn because of obstacles like trees and a wishing well and a garden plot, and that hour can be incredibly therapeutic.  While I sat there and baked in the sun (my summer tan is slightly evident after today's work), I could think about things.  I don't even remember what I thought about.  I waved to the neighbor who was coming back from a horseback ride.  I waved to our horse lady who was coming back from a different ride.  I'm pretty sure I was singing to myself at one point, something I did all the time back when I was 14 or 15 and mowing was my job.  The one thing I did NOT do was worry about the kids.

And you know what?  That was therapeutic, too.  It's nice to be back in the saddle... er, lawn mower seat.  Oh, whatever.  I may have to do this more often.

2 comments:

Wendy L. Callahan said...

Getting a house ready to put on the market is such a pain in the butt. There was quite a bit we had to do too, back in 2008 when we were getting ready to move. Ugh.

I totally empathize with you.

I also love to mow the lawn, but with the push mowers. It's great exercise and very relaxing at the same time. :)

farmwifetwo said...

I 100% agree it's theraputic. Nobody can bug you, you can't hear anything and nobody says "can you do this"...

It takes me approx 8hrs to mow the farm on the ride-on. Last time the "Man" thought he'd show me how he'd do it better - nearly 3yrs ago now - I ended up with an inch slit in my jeans, a 3" hole in my leg (and it was a shapnel hole just lucky they managed to close it not pack it), a sliver of shin cut out and put right back down, and my Mother was here for 12 days.

I was over 30ft away from him, on a diagonal when we think it picked up a tiny washer.

Needless to say he's never said "if it was me..." again and nobody is allowed anywhere within eyesight of the machine when it's running. We're planning on getting a bigger/stronger one for this year.