Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Few Random Things

1.  We close on our new house next Monday.  I'm still feeling bittersweet about it, but I'm excited, too.  It's weird to think that this is our last full week in this house.  It's also weird to think that I'm moving into a house that's actually younger than my son, because I was pregnant with him when we moved into our current house, which means that when he was born, our new house was just a twinkle in an architect's eye.  (Does that make any sense??)  Oz and I have spent many an hour discussing what furniture will go where and how we want the new house set up.  Obviously we can't figure it all out beforehand, but we have lots of ideas.

2.  A few weeks ago a brand-new lens on my brand-new camera got broken, so I took it into the camera shop to be sent in for repairs since it's still under warranty.  They told me it would be four weeks before it got returned, but I got a call today saying it's already back.  I'm happy, mostly because that means I can take pictures of the new house soon!

3.  In the past month and a half, I've lost 6.5 lbs.  I've been trying to lose this weight for years.  It's thrilling.  I'm hopeful that I'll have the space to exercise once we're in the new house.  I don't exercise in front of people, and my children do enjoy playing 'cheerleader.'  It's not helpful.

4.  M1 has his last swim meet of the summer tonight.  There won't be another meet until fall.  Last week he did very well in his heats and very nearly won one; the winning kid even pointed out how close of a race it had been.  I'm proud of his progress.

5.  I saw a list of public school start dates on the news the other day.  It won't be long before everyone will be back into the swing of the school year.  I really need to figure out somewhere to take the kids on a regular basis.  M2 has already been asking when we're going to see some friends again.  Being an introvert, this is tough for me.  I'll have to work something out!

6.  It's still disgustingly hot outside.  I know a large part of the USA is dealing with the same issue, and there are lots of places where the drought is worse than here, so I won't really gripe.  I'll just say that I'm tired of seeing the plants die, tired of swimming pools that feel like bathtubs, tired of the unrelenting heat that causes unrelenting electric bills, and just plain tired of the heat.  I love summer, but a month of 100+ degree days does wear a body down.

7.  I love having a wide range of friends, from the ultra-conservative to the ultra-liberal, Roman Catholic to evangelical to atheist, but sometimes that wears a body down, too.  Let's just say I'll be glad when the presidential election is over.

No comments: