Sunday, July 8, 2012

Countdown to Chaos

Boxes are starting to fill my home.  From where I sit, I can see three different stacks because I'm trying to keep them out of the walkways for as long as possible.  There is a stack in the hall and another in the kitchen.  So far I've packed up things like knick-knacks, the china, extra coffee mugs, extra linens and pillows, and appliances I won't be using in the next three weeks.  The kids have picked out some books to read, and I've packed the rest.

We had inspections done here on Friday afternoon.  We have a few things to fix but thankfully nothing major.  Inspections for our new house are scheduled late this week.  We're not expecting to find anything big, but you never know.  Once those things are taken care of, we get to wait on the appraiser.  Then we get to wait on the title information.  And in the meantime, I'm supposed to be educating the children because our first school day is tomorrow.  We may or may not take a week off while we're moving; I haven't entirely decided yet.

Once we get into our new place (knock on wood, etc., etc.), my mom, sister and I are headed up to visit my grandmother.  She's decided that she wants to move to an assisted living facility... before winter.  In her mind, this means September or October.  It's a facility with studio apartments, and she gets to bring her own furniture, but it's still a studio apartment, not a house.  My mom, sister and I have to make sure the facility is going to be a good fit, get her moved, and then go through everything in the house and sell, give away, or otherwise dispose of all the furniture, goods and detritus that accumulates throughout 88 years of living... and that includes the car and the house.  I'm not really looking forward to this, for many reasons.  It's odd and uncomfortable to be talking about getting rid of so many things when their owner is still around to hear about it.

I'm also waiting on word from my sister.  Her husband had a phone interview for a job out of state (WAY out of state), and if he gets it, they'll have to be moved by mid-August.  For their sake, I hope he gets it, because it sounds like it would be a perfect fit, but at the same time, I don't want my sister to be so far away!

I'm taking things one day at a time right now, because if I try to look too far ahead, I'll have a full-on nervous meltdown and simply won't function.  I'm one minor catastrophe away from the Land of Straitjackets and Valium.  I don't handle stress well, and moving myself is bad enough - I wasn't planning on EVERYONE moving this year, know what I mean?


I will make it through this, I will make it through this...

4 comments:

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

Good grief, lady, cancel school until after the move! You have enough on your plate right now.

Beth said...

It's going to be alright! Just know we're here if you need anything and can always watch your 2 if you have something you need to take care of without them. It's ALL going to be ok.

Wendy L. Callahan said...

How exciting! Everything is moving forward! I feel like selling and buying is so much "Hurry up and wait" (just like the military), so it can be frustrating. But it's those moments where things are moving ahead that feel so good.

I don't blame you for not looking forward to moving your grandmother. I helped out with that process back in 2004 or 2005, and it was sad and difficult at the same time (mostly because my father and aunt were butting heads, and still are).

So you do have some big things going on but, yes, the one-day-at-a-time mentality sounds good. Deal with each thing as it comes up, eh?

farmwifetwo said...

I too wouldn't stress about school right now. What you get done, get's done and let it go at that.

Moving Grandparents is not pleasant - been there and mine had the choice made for them. Be thankful she has agreed to it. To be blunt in 10yrs you won't have any so enjoy talking about her things and asking her questions while you move her. My kids have one grandfather (my father) and one great grandfather (94, still works, drives and lives in his own home - Dh's grandfather) they spend time with regularly. Dh's father has passed away unexpected a few yrs ago.

Good luck with the move... it's a lot of work but it'll go quicker than you expect.