Thursday, June 13, 2013

Feeding Frenzy

My family has always gone through a lot of food.  As soon as M1 was five months old, he insisted that he wanted food, and he wanted it NOW.  And he wanted LOTS OF IT.  My pediatrician at the time - not the same pediatrician we have now - tried to insist that I wait until he was six months old to start solids, but the child was schlucking down milk at a rate that allowed me little to no sleep as well as little to no recovery time between feedings.  So, with much guilt, I sat him in the high chair, fixed a tiny, tiny bowl of rice cereal,... and got the hell out of the way as he grabbed the spoon from me and shoved it in his mouth.  Repeatedly.  I haven't seen a child so excited about food before or since.

M2 didn't take to solids right away, primarily because she didn't want baby food.  She wanted what was on my plate, and she was content to wait until she was old enough and had teeth enough to eat it before demanding it.  By that point, of course, she was talking and informed me quite vocally that it was time.

Since then, between growing children and growing grocery prices, my grocery bill has steadily risen.  Not particularly shocking, but the quantities that we go through sometimes surprise other families.  A 9"x13" baked pasta still might leave leftovers, sure, but only if I serve salad and dessert with it... and the leftovers might only be enough for one or two people to have lunch the next day.  Maybe.  I fix some meals - jambalaya, soups, etc. - in bulk.

M1 has been putting on weight again lately.  He's not overweight by any means, but he's certainly a lot thicker than he normally is, and he simply can't seem to get enough to eat.  Yesterday for lunch, he wanted Ramen noodles.  M2 fixed two packets and split them between herself and her brother.  He ate that.  Then he poked his head in the fridge and found a leftover grilled chicken breast and ate that.  Then he ate a nectarine.  Then he fixed himself a gigantic quesadilla and ate that.  After that I suggested that he stop eating for a while.

Tonight I watched the same phenomenon happen again.  I fixed stuffing-coated pork chops, a family favorite (coat pork chops in sour cream and then in dry stuffing mix, lay them on a rack over a baking pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees).  I had about 3 pounds of potatoes that needed to be used, so I fixed mashed potatoes.  I also cooked about half a bag of peas.  Leftovers?  None.  And the kids asked that I fix the rest of the bag of peas as well, which I did.  After they polished off dinner, they devoured most of a bag of grapes.  M1 was ready to find something else as well, but I told him he could be done for now.  Since he's also been napping regularly over the last week, I suspect that we're due for a massive growth spurt.  He's already 5'2" or 5'3", so let's not think about how tall he'll be afterward.

I'm thankful that next week he will be at camp.  Now that he's getting bigger, I'm quite ready for someone else to feed him for a while!

No comments: