Sunday, June 30, 2013

Whew!

It suddenly occurred to me tonight that I hadn't updated my blog in a while.  I can explain!

Summer has taken over my home.  Each year, I let the children make a list of all the stuff they want to accomplish over summer.  Usually the kids write a bunch of little things - complete the library's summer reading program, catch fireflies, play in the sprinkler, go to the pool.  But the kids are getting older, and the list this year has reflected that.  This year they included things like:


  • Have a family game night
  • Make homemade sundaes
  • Visit the zoo
  • Visit the aquarium
  • Go on a family bike ride
  • Visit Purple Glaze (a pottery-painting studio)
  • Take a trip with Granny (this was M2's)
  • Take a trip with Dad (this was M1's)
  • Go through a cave (also M1's, and we're incorporating that into the Daddy trip idea that will happen later in the summer season)
  • Go camping in the yard
  • Go to Great Wolf Lodge (not happening)
  • Visit the Fab Lab and print some stickers (also not happening because I don't have the training on the machines that you have to have before you can use them)


Some of the traditional list items appeared as well, and I've added a few other things - the library reading program wasn't on the list, but we're doing it, anyway, and I've made it a point to take the kids to the farmer's market.  Oz also wants to take the kids out for sno-cones.

Obviously some of these items are a lot more time-consuming than the little things that used to be the center of their universe.  I've been working pretty hard to make sure that as many items get crossed off this list as possible and still make sure we get together with friends, visit family, and let them have time to relax.  This week is our last free week till we start school again on July 15, because M1 has a day camp to attend the week of the 8th (and I have a two-week project of my own starting that week), and the only things left on the list at this point - that we're going to manage to accomplish - are playing in the sprinkler, which will happen on the 4th; camping in the yard, which will happen as long as the kids accept that it will either be hot or will happen in the game room instead; and visiting Purple Glaze, which I intend to do on Wednesday after a visit to the library and the farmer's market.

Also happening this week is a trip to Kansas to visit my grandmother and going to a friend's house... along with hitting the grocery store for regular groceries as well as July 4 food, doing laundry, and all the other things that have to happen just to make our lives function.  Oh, and the kids want to go to the pool this week as well, since we've only made it once so far this summer.

It's hard to believe that our summer break began nearly two months ago.  It has been a lovely summer break - it really has! - but I do believe that we're all mentally ready to get back into a more regulated routine.  Two more weeks.  Time does fly.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh wow! I can't believe how fast *summer* has gone by!! It doesn't seem possible that you all have been off that long already!