Saturday, May 3, 2014

Becoming an Adult

In my head, there are certain things one should do/be/have to become a proper adult.  For example, you should be able to drive a car and fill it up with gas.  You should be able to pay a bill either online or in person.

The list is somewhat extensive.

But somewhere, for some reason, in my head, I decided that joining a gym was a very 'adult' thing to do.  It somehow meant that you were too old to go run around the park or find physical activities that would work in lieu of using machines and someone else's weights to keep in shape.

Then I got old.  I didn't become an adult… I just got old.

And I realized that while I do occasionally work out here at home using the Xbox or Wii or on-demand videos or whatever, and I do have weights that I break out for those occasions, I'm not exactly fit.  And I'm not going to the park to walk.  And I'm not joining any teams to play whatever sport might be happening that season.

And I really don't like myself when I'm out of shape.  My back goes into spasm, my joints ache more, my digestive system acts up, my hormones aren't happy… it's not a pretty picture.

So a couple of weeks ago, after much cajoling, I went to a gym with a friend of mine.  She's been a member for several months but hadn't been going regularly and really wanted a fitness buddy to help keep her on the straight and narrow.

And I liked it.

I liked it so much I went back a few days later and joined.  I could have done a free week-long trial but that only let me in the door during regular business hours, and we really wanted to meet right near their closing time, so it was easier to just join.

I have gone to the gym 4 days in the last week.  FOUR.  And I'm down the equivalent number of pounds.  Oz and Boo have both commented that my midsection seems smaller, and I agree… a pair of shorts that was slightly loose a week ago is now almost falling off my waist, and when I went to use one of the leg machines yesterday, I noticed I needed to add another 10 lbs. to the weights.

It feels really, really good.

I don't have a specific goal weight in mind, really.  I just want to be in shape.  In GOOD shape.  To set a good example for my kids.

Somehow, this feels really, really grown up.

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

I did not truly feel like an adult until I bought my first vacuum cleaner.

Bravo to you for going to the gym, and double bravo for enjoying it!