Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Waving the White Flag

I give up.

I give up on a LOT of things.

Keeping the house clean is one example.

But that's another post. Today, I'm officially giving up on keeping the electronics time to a minimum. I cave. It's impossible in our house. If it's not the Wii, it's the TV. If it's not the TV, it's the Netbook. If it's not the Netbook, it's the DS. And *apparently* if you make a valiant attempt to take away everything for 24 hours... he'll use an electronic dictionary as a last resort.

*bangs head on wall*

It's kind of funny, really. It's rather amusing to be filling out your pertinent medical history at your new optometrist's office and have your son announce, "Mom! I got it to spell 'Constantinople!' That's one of those "You know you're a homeschooler when..." moments.

I really have tried hard to keep the electronics to a reasonable time per day. I am discovering, however, that as he ages, the challenge becomes unreasonable. This isn't to say that I won't try, but I think I'm going to have to give in to some extent. He'll just have to learn that ignoring me when I tell him to put up whatever device it is to come do a chore or go outside is completely unacceptable and will result in more chores. Or more time outside. Whichever is more conducive to my sanity that day.

---

My Overthinking Challenge for the day is NOT to overthink M2's education plan for next year (first grade). Since she got to stay home last Friday, I've had this odd urge to bring her home, too. A large part of me knows we'd all go crazy if I did this, but then a friend of mine e-mailed about a homeschool dance class that's going to be during the daytime starting in August. M2 has wanted to take dance forever, and I'm sure I could find a Young Rembrandts class somewhere if she still wanted to take art, and I could enroll them both in gym, and M1 could still take swimming (or we could forego the dance class and put both of them in swimming), and I could afford all of this if they were both at home and I wasn't paying private school tuition!

Then again... I need to consider what's best for my sanity.

Must. Not. Overthink.

In both of my endeavors today, wish me luck!

3 comments:

Beth said...

HAHHAHHAHA welcome to the boat... And the dilemma with Mattie (except mine get along better than yours in general.. And Mattie hates people for the most part too and we know he wouldn't thrive at an all day school where he is NOW.. but projecting future behaviors is darn hard..)

Mom on the Verge said...

Where do I get me one of those electronic dictionaries... ;)

Make sure you ask M2 what she wants, too.

Sarah said...

Ahhh, yes... M2 thinks it'd be FANTASTIC if she got to come home. But I think her idea of homeschooling is a bit skewed by the fact that she knows Big Brother is done by noon and that he gets to have swimming lessons while she's gone. I don't think that she realizes there'd be work involved and that she wouldn't be having outings to see people every day.