Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Weather Cometh

Oz left to go on his annual 'work' cruise today. If you haven't heard me mention this before, it is an incentive-type cruise that his company pays for. Those who have done well throughout the year are shipped out on a three-day funfest to either Mexico or the Bahamas. All-you-can-drink cards are handed out as they board. There's a company meeting on the ride back to help write off the trip. And did I mention spouses are not allowed to attend?

So Oz left to go on his annual 'work' cruise today.

This means that the spring storms that we haven't had yet are arriving this afternoon.

Most folks around here love storms, and I do, too, as long as they're just thunderstorms and not tornado-spawning supercells. I enjoy a good vertical rain with some thunder and lightning for dramatic effect. It's the horizontal rain that gets me. Guess which kind we're forecast to get today?

The worst part is that this fear has become disabling for me. I'd go so far as to say it's a phobia. I didn't sleep well last night because of worry. I saw the tornado watch come into effect and felt my chest clench. I've already started checking out the locations of all the stormchasers to see where they're headed. Sometimes they congregate in a single location, and I feel better. This time they're spread out. I don't like that. After I go get M2 from school, I'll come home and change into jeans. I'll put on socks and have my tennis shoes handy. When the storms start, I'll have the TV on in the background, something I never, ever do, in case they break in and start a severe weather broadcast. Each kid will pack a 'ready bag' if nasty weather looks like it's heading our way. I'll fix a meal that pretty much cooks itself and which we can easily transport, since these things often hit right at dinnertime.

And I'll do it all while trying to remain calm on the outside and not scare the children. I doubt I succeed very well at this. But when I'm almost paralyzed with fear, it's all I can do.

I just checked the radar again, and the first green and orange blips have popped up. It's starting. Someone pass the Ativan and a margarita. It's gonna be a long evening.

3 comments:

Mom on the Verge said...

Oh, poor dear! You need a "Stay calm and carry on" t-shirt for tornado days. ;)

For a couple of years after our six hurricanes in 2004, I started hyperventilating every time the wind picked up.

You'll be okay. Hang in there.

Habebi said...

Ok Oz needed to have left weeks ago! lol Glad you have made it through the big one! Hang in there for the next rounds!!

Mom on the Verge said...

Well? How'd you do?